Problue Regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want to save money, buying used, with guidance, is absolutely the least expensive way to get a quality reg. I'd look for a MK5 or MK10 with a 109 (metal case) 2nd stage, or possibly a G250 or D300 2nd stage. You should be able to find one of those combinations for under $100, and you'll have a classic regulator that has been a mainstay of professional divers for decades. Regulators simply have not improved significantly; that's why there's so much hype associated with their sale. They are also designed to be completely rebuilt and last a lifetime if maintained well.

It is true that getting the reg serviced well is very important, and is an issue regardless of what reg you end up buying.

I concur with Halocline.

If you want to save a bit of money (no reason to do otherwise) without sacrificing quality, go with used gear. Contact the resident guru and ScubaPro tech, DA Aquamaster View Profile: DA Aquamaster - ScubaBoard Tell him about the type of diving you're going to do and hopefully he can set you up with a rebuilt so you won't have any worries.

couv & Halocline - so even though the Subgear regs are basically the same regulators as the more expensive Scubapros you guys are recommending, not buying them or other comparable brands?

I would think that if they are scubapro owned they can be serviced by most scubapro techs?

Yep, I'm pretty sure a SP store has the obligation to service SP sourced Subgear stuff.

I think the confusion is from the fact that before being bought by SP, Subgear had it's own line of regs (and others stuff) sourced from the far east. These may be troublesome to service.

I must admit, I'm not familiar with Subgear, Probule, etc.; for new gear it might be just fine.

However, when someone mentions saving money, my first recommendation is to buy name brand/popular model used equipment. If the buyer is not familiar with servicing his equipment, I still recommend buying it used, but freshly serviced by someone like DA.

Again, I'm not familiar with the regs you mentioned. Getting them serviced may not be an issue; but what if you're on vacation down in the Caribbean and it needs just a slight adjustment? The tech you find may not have some model specific tool or part required. With older and popular models such as the ones Halo mentioned, you increase the chances of getting it serviced.

c

Subgear has three regulator sets. One is the "Aruba" (which is a Scubapro MK2 first stage and a Scubapro R295 second), next is the "Bonaire" (which is a Scubapro MK17 first stage and a Scubapro R295 second) and next is the "Cayman" (which is a Scubapro MK17 first stage and a R555 second). They all can be serviced by anyone that services Scubapro regulators.

Scubastore.com has the 1st and 2nd for sale for $260+$20 shipping, that seems like a great deal? Can't find many reviews of these regulators here on the forum though.
Although they have a (718) area code be aware that Scubastore.com is based in Spain. So there could be problems with warranty service. It's likely that Scubapro/Subgear warranty/service for products purchased through them are not covered in the U.S by ScubaPro dealer agreements - I'm not certain. You could ask in our ScubaPro forum - there are several active mfr's reps there.

If you can do $250, LeisurePro has the Aeris AT400 Ion on sale for $250. It's a great reg, scored perfect in some breathing tests a couple of years ago. I dive the version that has the swivel and can't tell enough people about it, lol.
Plus about 25 others under $300. Some with their warranty but others with the mfr's warranty. I think they're now both an Aeris/Oceanic dealer and a Zeagle dealer so warranty/repair work should be covered by any authorized dealer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom