Project Argonaut, totally new, vintage style DH regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Update

I found the tag for the serial number it is now in it's rightful place. It was taped to the outside of the pack with the certificates. 14-024 now identified.

---------- Post added July 19th, 2014 at 01:17 PM ----------

I had heard mention of this in another thread.

Loaning him mine on Bonaire last May may have had a part in it. :)

---------- Post added July 19th, 2014 at 09:13 PM ----------

Another update. Thanks to the help I got, the crotch strap I ordered arrived today. I have put it on my Stiletto for a test run of my Kraken in the pool tomorrow!

Test run of my new Kraken is completed. It seemed to work flawlessly. It was a bit harder to breathe than my other reg but it did work. I think I need to work on tank position and getting comfortable with it under water. I really need to get use to the mouth piece too. I did notice the difference in my attitude. Angled down it the difference was very noticiable, angled heading up not so much. I know I am not quite ready to drop to 100' but +/- 20 or 30' seems quite doable.

I was surprised that the crotch strap didn't bother me like I thought it would.

Test run of my new Kraken is completed. It seemed to work flawlessly. It was a bit harder to breathe than my other reg but it did work. I think I need to work on tank position and getting comfortable with it under water. I really need to get use to the mouth piece too. I did notice the difference in my attitude. Angled down it the difference was very noticiable, angled heading up not so much. I know I am not quite ready to drop to 100' but +/- 20 or 30' seems quite doable.

I was surprised that the crotch strap didn't bother me like I thought it would.

It is important to get the regulator diaphragm as close to the center of the lungs as possible. That is the goal which gets lost in all of the discussions on tank position. Anything that increase the distance between the lung center and diaphragm is going to negatively effect breathing. Since as you are discovering, the dh is somewhat more position sensitive than a single hose, keep in mind, that there is no rule that says you cannot swim slightly rolled to one side.

N

Thanks, makes perfect sense to do that.

The tank I used in the pool had a boot on the top of the tank. I am sure this is protect the pool deck from tanks falling over. Without taking the boot off I couldn't get both straps on the tank and tightened. I am certain I will have a chance to help solve the problem once I get to my next ocean dives using tanks without the top boot. That alone will drop the tank and regulator 4" or so. Stay tuned, I leave for my trip on Wednesday and by Friday or so I am sure I will have worked on getting things closer to being sorted out.

doubles.jpg

The Kraken has been spotted, somewhere off of Little Cayman

SnipImage.jpg

For those who need a DIN connection, VDH is now offering the Argonaut with a DIN connection.

Take a look at this link:
Shop Online

---------- Post added November 21st, 2014 at 07:10 AM ----------

Here are several pictures from the trip to Cozumel last week. You can see several Argonauts in action.

You may notice several different experimental/ variations of different mouthpieces, some with hose weights.
I also tried a modified Hope Page and a rebreather type DSV. I am working on new mouthpiece design and I was taking some data.

Here is Couv taking care of a lion fish.

Here is Herman showing the ideal location for a double hose regulator. The Argonaut is a totally modern regulator with performance that can easily exceeds any previous or present regulator, but like all regulators, it requires proper position (close to the divers lungs/ back) to perform well in the water column.

The regulator has an improved veturi flow geometry that can overcome a lot of poor positioning, but the ideal position avoids fighting the pressure differential in the water column.

If you notice this regulator is touching Herman's back right between his shoulder blades.
The only way to have a regulator breath better is to have it surgically implanted. :D

Last edited:
Luis,

I agree that this position shown above on Herman's regulator is about as good as it gets with a single tank. But I have done a lot of experimentation, and feel that a more ideal position, some two to four inches further down on the back is attained using double tanks with a military (or modified military) harness. There is no backpack to lift the tanks off the back, and the regulator sits down lower on the back.

Having smaller diameter cylinders helps this position too (see below). Being lower sometimes requires longer hoses, and that is why I like the super-stretch hoses on my double hose regulators.

Cozumel must have been very, very nice for diving. I really like seeing the dives in the tropics using double hose regulators.

SeaRat

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom