Protecting what we love.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think there is lots we can do.

Simple conservation.
More efficient lighting.
Solar, wind, and nuclear power.
Mass transit - trains instead of autos.
Electric cars.

The thing is, oil won't last forever anyway, and it is polluting. We all know it, and we all know we need to do better. Might as well just get on with it.

Just like the West did. It's not really fair to expect countries like China and India to limit their use of resources when the West didn't to get to where they are now.

It certainly would be hypocritical, wouldn't it? But we can provide guidance so that they don't make the same mistakes that we did. Not that anyone would listen...

When you say that developing nations should have the right to make the same mistakes we did, are you saying that we should stand by silently while they kill off their lakes and rivers and forests, sicken their people with mercury and asbestos, deplete and squander their natural resources, kill their birds with DDT, and hunt their wildlife to extinction? Of course not.

The West has made mistakes, no doubt about it. The mistakes we made hurt us. That's why we cared, and why we changed our behavior and began fixing the problems. It would be irresponsible of us NOT to share what we have learned with our neighbors.

China and India have made their own mistakes, overpopulation being a big one, and they do not have the God-given right to help us to destroy the planet in the name of fairness.

Hello folks,
I have been a diver and ocean lover for a few years now and have just created a PADI distinctive specialty called shark discovery.With the goal of using these funds to instigate education and conservation programs here in Balearic Islands Spain.
There are soooo many issues facing our oceans these days that one solution is not sufficient.
Over Population, pollution, overfishing, habitat destruction, increasing ocean acidity,dead zones..the list goes on!!
I think that all these problems have a common root!!! Lack of education.
As divers I think we have the ability to get a message across to people on our own local level, lets face it divers are all over the world and if we decided to do just one small project each then this would be a great way to begin the understanding of these issues and also begin the changing of life practices that are needed to give OUR OCEANS a chance of survival.
We have the power and the passion!!!After all they are our oceans and they are worth saving!!!

...are you saying that we should stand by silently while they kill off their lakes and rivers and forests, sicken their people with mercury and asbestos, deplete and squander their natural resources, kill their birds with DDT, and hunt their wildlife to extinction? Of course not.

The West has made mistakes, no doubt about it. The mistakes we made hurt us. That's why we cared, and why we changed our behavior and began fixing the problems. It would be irresponsible of us NOT to share what we have learned with our neighbors.

So... practically, how do you get them to stop doing this?

I think there is lots we can do.

Simple conservation.
More efficient lighting.
Solar, wind, and nuclear power.
Mass transit - trains instead of autos.
Electric cars.

The thing is, oil won't last forever anyway, and it is polluting. We all know it, and we all know we need to do better. Might as well just get on with it.

You forgot geothermal heating and cooling, it's how I make my living. I think it should be mandatory for new construction.
Eric

You forgot geothermal heating and cooling, it's how I make my living. I think it should be mandatory for new construction.
Eric

In my understanding, the ground source fluid is used to condense the refrigerant in the condenser when in cooling mode, right? This seems to be an obviously more efficient way to provide A/C than air-cooled condensers.

In heating mode, though, does the compressor still operate? And if so, how does it's electricity use compare to using forced air heating (energy-usage).

(sorry - a little nerdy, and maybe off-topic, but it is probably an unknown technology to most of us!)

So... practically, how do you get them to stop doing this?

This is perhaps the biggest issue humanity has yet faced. The individual problems - alternate energy, conservation, pollution control, etc. -can be solved to a great extent.

But how do you solve the global political problem? Many countries say they have no money, others feel it's unfair to expect them to sacrifice. Some countries will benefit.

The US seems, for the moment, to be paralysed while the debate rages.

Greenland is looking forward to a warmer climate, while Bangladesh is facing certain disaster and their neighbors are terrified of the consequences.

Canada is looking forward to a Northwest Passage, while the Maldives want to buy land in other countries so that they will have a place to live when their country is gone.

Eric

It is kinda limited based on location if I am not mistaken. But I do agree that it is a resource that will be leveraged in the near future as deep earth penetration is made feasible.

It's not really fair to expect countries like China and India to limit their use of resources when the West didn't to get to where they are now.

Basically people only start caring about clean air and pollution when they have a decent standard of living. People only start reducing the amount they reproduce when their country is economically developed.

I agree that Chinese and Indians ought to have a decent standard of living. Trouble is, their very existence is threatened by a warming planet. About two billion people in Asia depend on snowmelt from the Tibetan Plateau for their water, food and electrical power. And those rivers may soon dry up.

Tibetan Plateau - National Geographic Magazine

Back
Top Bottom