PSAI Narcosis Management course - 73m on air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think one flaw in the 'drunk driving' analogy is that if you start to experience narcosis impairment, all you have to do is ascend to recover. Of course you need to be aware that you should ascend, that's something the course teaches you, to recognise and act accordingly
I think drunk driving is a great analogy. Most people who drink and drive enough convince themselves that they've learned to drive slightly impaired because they drink so often they know how to deal with the impairment. And to a certain extent, it's true.

Think about the first time you had a few drinks, probly in high school, you're nervous because you know you shouldn't be drinking, and after two you feel absolutely paranoid of even thinking about driving. Now, a year or two, you're a SR in high school and have been drinking for a while. You learned to keep your mouth shut around your parents and tiptoe into bed. You can carry a normal conversation buzzed because you're somewhat used to the feeling, and some people remark that they "can't even tell you're drunk". You've learned how to deal with the stimulus around you at a party and not appear wasted when you've been (reasonably) drinking.

You learn to drive home and keep it fairly straight because you've slowly built up your muscle memory to do so, and fortunatly you're driving at night where all you have to do is remember a few stop signs and keep it between the lines. You have learned to "manage" being drunk.

Let's face it, people who kill others in drunk driving crashes get away with it SEVERAL times before getting caught or killing someone, and no one would get behind the wheel if they really thought today was the day that they kill someone in a crash. You can deal with impairment very well until the stimulus changes, like a child walking into the middle of the road.

There was a list of something like 200 names of people who had died from deep air diving that someone used to post on techdiver. I don't plan on adding myself, or a dive buddy to that list. I can't imagine what it feels like to have a buddy need help and later on find out that I was too intoxicated to notice...how would I tell friends/family that I couldn't save him because I was too worried about saving $50 on helium so we dove intoxicated?

I think drunk driving is a great analogy

It's certainly a very emotive parable you shared. Especially about the child walking into the middle of the road, which presumabley I the "drunk driver" crash into and kill. I'm sure most people, including myself, can relate to it. I'm not sure how accurately it relates to the course I took though

As I've already mentioned, I did 16 dives during this trip, ONE of them was to 73/74m, and was on a line which we never let go of, and was supervised by two PSAI instructors, with a safety bottle at 6m and a support diver at 20m, and was conducted under course rules - which noone has even bothered asking about really - with a TOTAL bottom time of 10 minutes, 5 of which were during descent ie 5 minutes at max depth/PPO2. The other FIFTEEN dives were below PPO2 1.6

So, thanks for your concern about MY safety, on the dive that *I* chose to do with people that also chose to do the dive with me, but is it okay with you if *I* do what I want to do? Okay, thanks

i learned to manage narcosis by not becoming narcd
it works pretty well for me

"I learned how to dive by not diving"

Makes about as much sense

Why are you so defensive?

Others may think it seems reckless (myself included), but why do you care? If you learned something useful to your diving, great.

(BTW, 68m up seems like an awfully long way to go to reach a "safety bottle")

As far as I'm concerned, the course delivered on it's promise. It gave me some tools to plan and execute deeper dives in the 40-60m range safely for myself and my team members. The 65m dive we did I was much more aware of myself, my team and my dive plan than on 50m dives I've done previously

but did they really prepare you for a dive?

Going up and down a line is not, nor capable of simulating the stress of a dive at depth.

Why are you so defensive?

I made what I thought was an informative thread about a deep air course; people have pretty much focussed on the final dive, and how it violated their PPO2 max. One poster has gone as far as saying that my instructrors and I did the dives due to nickel rocketry, ignorance, false bravado, a penchant for being stoned, and possibly stupidity. You're asking me why I'm defensive?

but did they really prepare you for a dive?

Going up and down a line is not, nor capable of simulating the stress of a dive at depth

What? Did you read the thread?

What? Did you read the thread?

Correct me - pls... from your post below, it made it sound like the entire 'dive' was hanging onto a line...

The only thing I have to add is that the reason a descent/ascent line is used is to minimise the amount of work done during the dive. This extends to getting back to surface and afterwards

Yes, the all the dives were on the line, what's your point?

Is that what you do on your dives...?

Go down a line and come back up...? Doesn't sound like much fun... no reef, no wreck, no swimming...?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom