Puerto Rico Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jc60625

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
the in-laws want to do a puerto rico trip in august. They're not divers or beach people (don't ask), but basically i think would like to be near golf courses and relatively convenient to san juan.

based on the above criteria and my wish to dive i'm taking a guess that the fajardo area is our best bet? can anyone substantiate that or offer an alternative?

recommendations on dive ops would be helpful but i've already done a bit of research on that... i'm more interested to see if there are condo/villa rentals available in the NE portion of the island.

thanks everybody.

Hi,

We're considering a Thanksgiving trip to PR. How did your trip work out? Who did
you dive with, were they any good, costs?

Thanks,

Scott

the in-laws want to do a puerto rico trip in august. They're not divers or beach people (don't ask), but basically i think would like to be near golf courses and relatively convenient to san juan.

based on the above criteria and my wish to dive i'm taking a guess that the fajardo area is our best bet? can anyone substantiate that or offer an alternative?

recommendations on dive ops would be helpful but i've already done a bit of research on that... i'm more interested to see if there are condo/villa rentals available in the NE portion of the island.

thanks everybody.

Hi,

We're considering a Thanksgiving trip to PR. How did your trip work out? Who did
you dive with, were they any good, costs?

Thanks,

Scott

We were in PR earlier this year, flew into San Juan, stayed in Old SJ for a few nights, and then drove out to Rincon. Dove with Taino Divers, diving on Desecheo Island for two days, and then drove down to La Parguera for a day, diving with West Divers. The diving on Desecheo was okay, the diving with West on the wall off La Parguera was extraordinary, and we are already planning to go back next Spring.

My only caution about Rincon and Thanksgiving is that we went in May, which is off-season to the surfers. Not sure about what's going on during November, but if "surf's up", your diving might be off.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Cheers!

jc60625,
If you're still going in Dec, let me know and I'll tell you my experience. I'm going to PR week of Thanksgiving. Staying in Cabo Rojo though (Southwest coast). Probably dive The Wall maybe Desecho and lots of shore dives - waves permitting but all on south and west coast.
Good luck,
Aquabear

yea we're going... it would be great to hear how it goes but we'll likely be stuck on the NE coast :(

There are some LDS near San Juan/NE area.

I suggest pick up a copy of lonely planet puerto rico for more info- its been a great source of info for me.

NE coast is rough for waves in winter. a hour or 2 hour drive though might open up more diving options like fajardo? dont quote my times though its been 3 years since I did that.

We were in PR earlier this year, flew into San Juan, stayed in Old SJ for a few nights, and then drove out to Rincon. Dove with Taino Divers, diving on Desecheo Island for two days, and then drove down to La Parguera for a day, diving with West Divers. The diving on Desecheo was okay, the diving with West on the wall off La Parguera was extraordinary, and we are already planning to go back next Spring.
Hi: I will be staying in Rincon the week after Thanksgiving on business... planning on diving the 28th/29th. So would you recommend West Divers over Taino Divers?

Hi: I will be staying in Rincon the week after Thanksgiving on business... planning on diving the 28th/29th. So would you recommend West Divers over Taino Divers?

Tough call on that one. If you are in Rincon, the drive to La Parguera is close to an hour and a half (give or take 15 minutes), so doing both days down there might have you on the road a little more than you might like, but I would definitely go there for one of the days. Desecheo was a fun dive, and Taino is a good shop, but the variety we experienced on the wall at La Parguera really begs for more.

I'm traveling to Ponce, Puerto Rico in mid December and am hoping to catch a few dives between Dec. 16th and Dec. 18th. I'm very interested in any recommendations on dive operations in the La Parguera region although I'm open to suggestions. A friend recommended Parguera Divers but I haven't found a current reference for them. I just saw a strange about the possible closing of West Divers (don't panic , I don't have any confirmation) so I'm a bit confused. I'm an active Divemaster with about 800 logged dives so I'm up for almost anything within recreational dive limits. Any realtime input greatly appreciated!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom