Puget Sound Diver Here, Newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heisenberg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just found this board while searching for gear - v. nice job guys. I certified SSI in '02, never used it. Recertified PADI in 2012, dove once last year at Edmonds -- great time. This year going sailing in San Juans, planning a boat dive at Sucia. Need some gear.

Have a Sea Quest Malibu BCD and 4 AL 80s.

Need a regulator set up, dry suit, some weights and I'm good to go.

Question, do I need a dry suit class? Also, any recommends on regulators for cold water would be helpful. I've been doing some reading, but haven't made any choices yet. I'd like to get a more expensive unit, hopefully on secondary market. If anyone has an opinion and can back it up on whether that's a good approach, or if they would otherwise recommend going with a new, less expensive unit that dealing w/potential issues with used. Any experience would be helpful.

Finally, do people recommend the secondary on the BCD for less clutter, or stick w/octopus?

Thanks in advance!

Heisenberg

Don't forget the Northwest Dive Club! Their site is not working right now, but I'm sure it will be. Lots of good advice and used equipment close to where you live.

If I am reading your post correctly, you have a total of two dives since your certification, and the last one was a year ago? I would highly recommend a dry suit class, if for no other reason than to get a refresher. I assume you will be diving off your own boat at Sucia, which means you won't have a boat full of fellow divers who might be able to help with problems, so I would highly recommend getting some time with an instructor to get you comfortable and stable before you undertake this.

Personally, I would not do a dive off a private boat in the San Juan Islands with only two dives worth of experience. Currents in the San Juans can be very strong, and there is nobody nearby to pick you up if you get blown off.

hi. I'm an instructor in Portland. welcome. diving in the pnw can be challenging but lots of fun. I would definitely recommend a drysuit. you would benefit from a balanced first stage with an environmental seal. if you can get a balance second stage, that will be nice for deeper dives when you get to that point. a compass and a light are always nice when the visibility is low. do you dive with buddies or by your self?

Thanks for taking the time to reply. BRT, I'm going to check out the PNW site. I appreciate the heads up as I wasn't aware of that site and yes, it's nice that it's local.

TS and M, your words of wisdom and caution are heeded. I dive with a buddy, and there are 2 others on the boat. We are thinking of dingy tripping to the shore and walking in. We are very wary of currents, and have current tables we use to navigate through the isles with a sailboat. We usually get around the isles in 5 days to BC, and back going through <5 gallons of fuel due to currents mostly. I have talked to the local dive shop, and am getting formal instruction on a rental suit, and then will decide. Thank you again.

Stunaep, I appreciate your recommends on regulator specs. I'm looking at the Atomic Z2 first and second with an Aqualung Airsource 3 octo (my BC is Seaquest). The best fit I can find on a non-custom dry suit is a Bare. The dive shop helped me with this taking measurements and using their chart. I do not have compass/guages yet and am looking for input on those on the forums.

Thanks again for your time in sharing your experience and wisdom.

Thanks for clarifying, Heisenberg. As you can imagine, I had this horrible vision of somebody with two total lifetime dives backrolling off a sailboat in the San Juan Islands -- not a recipe for a good outcome!

If you don't have Betty Pratt-Johnsons 151 dives book, I recommend it. It will give you a lot of information on diving in the San Juans. Fischnaller has some San Juan dives, too, although nothing from Sucia.

Thanks again TSandM. The book looks like a great source of info. I also joined a local dive club in my area to get out more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom