Puget Sound tide question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mohave_steve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So far in my diving experience I have not had to deal with concerns regarding tides much.
In looking at the possability of heading out to Seattle to dive I have noticed that tides appear to be more extreme during the summer. Is this my imagination?
I was looking this morning at tides on dates in December that I may be able to head out that way and I am seeing afternoon tidal exchanges of as little as 2.9 feet low-high tide. Is this typical in the Winter?

OK... A little more research...

Least tidal variation June & December. Greatest - March & September.

Highest variation at new & full moon. Lowest 7 days after...

Is this reliable & correct?????

The tidal variation is definitely moon-phase related. And it is greatest in spring and fall. But the best thing is to plan any trip around the specific tidal predictions. HERE is a reasonably good website for predicting tides and currents for various Puget Sound sites. But also be aware that, if your schedule compels you to be here during big exchanges, there is ALWAYS someplace we can dive.

What TSandM said, plus it really depends on the dive site. On some the tidal exchange matters more than others. You can check out my website for some decent descriptions of dive sites. I've listed which ones are current sensitive.

What TSandM said, plus it really depends on the dive site. On some the tidal exchange matters more than others. You can check out my website for some decent descriptions of dive sites. I've listed which ones are current sensitive.

I couldn't agree more. It tends to be very site specific, even for those sites that are very close together (ie. three tree north vs three tree south). Cove 2, depending on the range offshore, is a site that is not excessively affected by tides.

Thanks for the input.

It sounds like I may be placing too much importance on tides. I have been looking at possible dates to travel to the west side to dive and pouring over tide charts to find days with favorable tides that fit with my schedule.

Great website! Would it be a good rule of thumb to stick with sites with a current rating of "1" during larger current exchanges?

Steve, it's more complicated than that. Some sites magnify current, and some reduce it.

The best thing to do is pick a weekend when the tidal exchange during the day is small -- like no more than two or three feet -- and then contact some of us to plan some diving. If you have an opportunity to come over when the tides are bigger than that, remember, we can ALWAYS dive somewhere. And diving off a live boat, you can do current-sensitive sites on higher current days, so going out with a charter will offer more diversity of sites on those dates.

Just wanted to chime in...
There is always someplace to dive over here! Either by boat or shore. Some places are more sensitive than other in regards to current and tides...
My suggestion is to pick a few dates that work for you, let us know and we will tell you yah or nay and give you some suggestions...
Kirsten

Thanks for the input.

It sounds like I may be placing too much importance on tides. I have been looking at possible dates to travel to the west side to dive and pouring over tide charts to find days with favorable tides that fit with my schedule.

Great website! Would it be a good rule of thumb to stick with sites with a current rating of "1" during larger current exchanges?

Thanks! The ratings are based off the experience of the divers that left reviews. Most of the local divers only dive the sites when the current is favorable so that statistic would be hard to base your plan on. If you read the "special restriction" section it nearly always mentions if the site is current sensitive. Just keep in mind, if the water looks different than you were expecting and you are uncomfortable, it is better to abort the dive and head somewhere else.

Let me know when you are going to be around and i would be happy to show you around, or at least let you know which sites are protected if you already have plans.

Like the others said, Steve, until you get more experience diving the Sound it's probably unwise to underestimate the tides. The tidal surge can pull you right off some dive sites, and divers have even been lost due to tides. OTOH, tides can also have huge impact on water turbidity and clarity, so using tide tables to plan dive trips is smart. Tables allow you to plan for periods of best visibility where you'll be diving. (Look on charter boat schedules. The best weekends are the ones already filled up! The weekends with slots left often offer the largest tidal variation, which tends to indicate lower visibility, etc.)

Also, sometimes your dive day doesn't go as expected. Someone needs a fill. You miss a ferry. Traffic screws up your schedule. If you're going somewhere that you should really be diving on the slack, you may need to know the next slack. Here is one example of a portable device that can come in real handy:
Tide Tool for the PalmPilot

Something like this can make a difference, either on the shore or out on a boat.

Best,

Doc

Back
Top Bottom