Purchasing a brand new wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theunraveler

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello

I am currently residing in Singapore where I dive around the region mainly in Bali, Tioman and Aur. This coming Feb I will be heading to Brisbane to study and I would like to know in general, what thickness of wetsuit is needed to dive comfortably in Australian waters?

I was told to get a 5mm but I think it may create bouyancy problem and maybe too warm when I return home for holiday diving at the end of the year. Has anyone dived in tropical waters in a 5mm wetsuit before can tell me how does it feel like?

Is Oceanic wetsuits a good brand to invest in?

theunraveler:
Hello

I am currently residing in Singapore where I dive around the region mainly in Bali, Tioman and Aur. This coming Feb I will be heading to Brisbane to study and I would like to know in general, what thickness of wetsuit is needed to dive comfortably in Australian waters?

I was told to get a 5mm but I think it may create bouyancy problem and maybe too warm when I return home for holiday diving at the end of the year. Has anyone dived in tropical waters in a 5mm wetsuit before can tell me how does it feel like?

Is Oceanic wetsuits a good brand to invest in?

I live in Sydney and dive a 5mm in summer and a 7mm in winter. Brisbane is a bit warmer. You might want a 3mm in summer and 5mm in winter.

I have taken a few trips to the GBR and used a 5mm with perfect comfort.

If you can only afford one wetsuit, get the 5mm. A bit too warm is better than too cold. There is not a great deal of buoyancy difference between a 3 and a 5mm.

FishDiver:
I live in Sydney and dive a 5mm in summer and a 7mm in winter. Brisbane is a bit warmer. You might want a 3mm in summer and 5mm in winter.

I have taken a few trips to the GBR and used a 5mm with perfect comfort.

If you can only afford one wetsuit, get the 5mm. A bit too warm is better than too cold. There is not a great deal of buoyancy difference between a 3 and a 5mm.
hi fishdiver

thanks for ur reply. i would like to know in australia what is the price range of

1) 3mm wetsuit
2) 5mm wetsuit

thank u

you can pick up a 3mm for as little as $100.00 in sydney

in sydney a 5mm will go from $300 to $800 - depending on what you get, custom made ect

for private/fun dives we dive 5mm Seatec semi drys but on courses hubby wears neptune suits - both aussie made

cheers

If it's for study most of the universities have dive clubs, many of which are pretty good.

thanks everyone for their advice and help! :)

btw has anyone dived in brisbane area before? which are the better spots for diving?

Back
Top Bottom