Pure Rec Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rich, it's just flat out not true. Oceanography 101 bro.

This seems like a straw man discussion.

Unless you are doing commercial, military or research diving, it's all recreational, because no one is paying you do to it, so of course you just do whatever you enjoy.

Hey, OP - did anyone make you feel bad for not doing tech training? Seriously, is that a problem? People being bullied into deco?

While everyone is free to choose his or her own dive preferences, it's human nature to be curious about & question the preferences of others. What do people see in wrecks? Why do people dive cold water? Why did somebody do over 500 dives in a quarry? Etc… As long as the question is raised respectfully, seems legit.

Richard.

Not in the least, I've left a number of forums when the conflict got in the way of conversation. I would guess that, of that 95%, most have not gone beyond OW. As I stated, I have... and am looking at future options for training. I see a lot of people enjoy tech diving and the instructor I had just this past weekend focuses on tech diving. Some of the guys I work with (not in the diving industry) are well known tech divers in one way or another. Maybe it's because I'm just seeing it in a lot of places but I don't see people making the statement I made originally... I'm very happy with my more shallow coral reefs.

I don't understand this post. I would guess that 95% of divers are rec divers only. Are you trying to pick a fight?

You wrote in your original post that you didn't see the need to go deeper. People can still read that. And now you say you're a tech diver? Which is it?

It was a random number actually thrown out by a divemaster friend when we had the same conversation. Personally, I'm normally happy with 60' or less. I've done deeper dives but I enjoy the leisure and time under water of more shallow dives. I even stopped diving altogether for 10+ years and just did a lot of snorkeling and pseudo-free diving. Like DaleC said, I'm more interested in the ecology, particularly the coral these days.

Most of my dives are in 25'-30' but I've dove plenty of "tech" dives too. Are you limiting yourself to above 80' because you believe beyond 80' is an unnecessary risk? If so, good for you, it is a good thing to define acceptable risk for yourself. How did you come to settle on 80'?

---------- Post added December 8th, 2014 at 08:20 PM ----------

I could believe 90% of marine species, but I wouldn't believe 90% of biomass.

---------- Post added December 8th, 2014 at 09:33 PM ----------

If you're addressing that to me, I didn't (intentionally) say that I was a tech diver, I said my instructor and some people I know are. I have no current interest. Not sure where you got that.

You wrote in your original post that you didn't see the need to go deeper. People can still read that. And now you say you're a tech diver? Which is it?

While everyone is free to choose his or her own dive preferences, it's human nature to be curious about & question the preferences of others. What do people see in wrecks? Why do people dive cold water? Why did somebody do over 500 dives in a quarry? Etc… As long as the question is raised respectfully, seems legit.

Richard.

Sure, maybe I read something into the OP that was't there... :D

Am I hearing you correctly? You've reached a point in your diving where you would like to go on to some more training, but all the options beyond where you are seem to be aimed at people with technical aspirations, and that's not where you want to go.

May I make a recommendation? Consider GUE Primer or Fundamentals, done in a single tank. The class is about simple things done precisely, and about diving as a team. You have fellow Texans who have done the class and who arrange to have someone come in at intervals to teach it.

If you look up Fundies on line, you'll see a lot of photographs of people in double tanks -- but you do not have to do that to take the class, not at all. It can, and is taught in a single tank configuration, but introducing people to the standard of performance of technical classes. It's a great course to raise your diving to a different level.

I would love to do all my dives at 20 ft with long run times over coral reefs.

However, I also want to dive frequently. I do not live in Florida or on an island. Off NC coral reefs means ledges in 80-105 ft of water so I dive ledges and wrecks.

I am not into trying to get perfect trim etc. I just want to drift along and look for stuff large and small, natural and not.

I want to also keep it simple and have some bottom time. So I rarely dive below 105 and avoid real deco.

Back
Top Bottom