Pure Rec Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not know if I would call it a war, more of a discussion. To get back on topic you could also look into search and recovery. Different line search patterns and salvage techniques might be of interest to some. If you are a diver long enough someone is going to ask you to look for something that was dropped overboard.

The link you posted talked only about swimming fish not ALL life in the ocean. That is where you were wrong. Go back and read it for yourself then check out the four links below.

Plankton Facts ~ What is Plankton?

What are phytoplankton?

Classroom@Sea » Facts

Plankton Revealed - National Geographic Education

Don't mean to keep this off topic, but dude what are you looking at? In all 4 of your references, plankton is defined yet nothing states the distribution of plankton within the water column with the exception of photoplankton(which by the way is just a small slice of the plankton pie).

I don't need a lesson on the definition of plankton. I don't need a lesson on the different types of plankton, nor their position in the food chain, nor where they are distributed.

What you fail to realize is that the photic zone of the earths oceans is far deeper than 33fsw. Primary production of autotrophs takes place in the first 80m(on average). That means that the first 33 ft is only 12.5% of that fertile production zone for plankton. I know for a fact that the sum of the biomass between 10m and 80m outweighs the sum between 0 and 10m. MANY types of plankton are primarily dispersed in areas below the euphotic zone.

I think you are confusing the photic zone with the first subsurface ATM in the ocean.

In case you need to understand the "Zones":
The photic zone, euphotic zone (Greek for "well lit": εὖ "well" + φῶς "light"), or sunlight zone is the depth of the water in a lake or ocean that is exposed to such intensity of sunlight which designates compensation point, i.e. the intensity of light at which the rate of carbon dioxide uptake, or equivalently, the rate of oxygen production, is equal to the rate of carbon dioxide production, equivalently to the rate of oxygen consumption, reducing thus the net carbon dioxide assimilation to zero.
It extends from the surface down to a depth where light intensity falls to one percent of that at the surface, called the euphotic depth. Accordingly, its thickness depends on the extent of light attenuation in the water column. Typical euphotic depths vary from only a few centimetres in highly turbid eutrophic lakes, to around 200 metres in the open ocean. It also varies with seasonal changes in turbidity.
Since the photic zone is where almost all of the photosynthesis occurs, the depth of the photic zone is generally proportional to the level of primary production that occurs in that area of the ocean. About 90% of all marine life lives in the photic zone. A small amount of primary production is generated deep in the abyssal zone around the hydrothermal vents which exist along some mid-oceanic ridges.
The zone which extends from the base of the euphotic zone to about 200 metres is sometimes called the disphotic zone.[1] While there is some light, it is insufficient for photosynthesis, or at least insufficient for photosynthesis at a rate greater than respiration. The euphotic zone together with the disphotic zone coincides with the epipelagic zone. The bottommost zone, below the euphotic zone, is called the aphotic zone. Most deep ocean waters belong to this zone.
The transparency of the water, which determines the depth of the photic zone, is measured simply with a Secchi disk. It may also be measured with a photometer lowered into the water.

---------- Post added December 9th, 2014 at 01:12 PM ----------

No, the topic is boring. But how many times do you get to see a flame war about plankton?

LOL. We know that it has little to do with the OP's topic, but it is a fun offshoot to the thread...and maybe educational for some folks.

Most plankton are just simple plants, the links I provided say these plankton generate about 50% of the planets oxygen so they are not in the minority, the more sun light they get the better off they are. There is more sun light in the first 33' so that is where most are to be found. Try turning a plant that sits by a window 180 degrees and watch what the leaves do over the next few of days. This is not rocket science bro it is just common sense that most, but clearly not all, understand. I am not sure I can dumb down the explanation any further but I will try if you are still having trouble understanding.

---------- Post added December 9th, 2014 at 02:05 PM ----------

Here are a couple more links that explain it in simpler terms. Look for the parts where they talk about habitat.

A to Z of Oz Marine Life

Phytoplankton Habitats | eHow

Last edited:
Most plankton are just simple plants, the links I provided say these plankton generate about 50% of the planets oxygen so they are not in the minority, the more sun light they get the better off they are. There is more sun light in the first 33' so that is where most are to be found. Try turning a plant that sits by a window 180 degrees and watch what the leaves do over the next few of days. This is not rocket science bro it is just common sense that most, but clearly not all, understand. I am not sure I can dumb down the explanation any further but I will try if you are still having trouble understanding.

---------- Post added December 9th, 2014 at 02:05 PM ----------

Here are a couple more links that explain it in simpler terms. Look for the parts where they talk about habitat.

A to Z of Oz Marine Life

Phytoplankton Habitats | eHow

You don't need to dumb it down at all. You realize that you are only talking about photoplankton right? Do you understand the concept that there other types of plankton? In mass quantities even?

Beyond that, don't look at "common sense"...you need to see the numbers as provided by many research projects encompassing many different depths. These studies even tell you the quantity and weight per ft3 average per the depth that the samples are taken, as well as the types of photo/zooplankton found.....None of these studies support your notion.

You realize that you are only talking about photoplankton right?

Photoplankton generate about 50% of our oxygen, that is the same output as every plant on land put together. They are not the only plankton but they are the majority. What part of this do you not understand?

---------- Post added December 9th, 2014 at 02:37 PM ----------

Back on subject. Another shallow water activity that some find interesting is bottle hunting. I know a guy who researches old maps looking for ferry landings that were abandoned when those routes were replaced by bridges. He has been very successful at finding bottles that date as far back as the 1600s.

Photoplankton generate about 50% of our oxygen, that is the same output as every plant on land put together. They are not the only plankton but they are the majority. What part of this do you not understand?
Plants are the minority of life in the ocean. Most of the life in the ocean is not plants.....and an awful lot is bacterial/microbial. Check out the biogeography literature and the Census of Marine Life literature and not the dumb-it-down-for-kids-and-Congressmen literature.

I'm having a blast diving recreational, but find it interesting to go deep as well!! Would be an experience for sure!

I never said plants were the majority of life in the ocean just the majority of the plankton and that the plankton make up more then half the life in the ocean. Bacterial and microbial life are not considered plankton, nor are they considered sea life either as they exist every where not just in the oceans.

Back
Top Bottom