Pushing your comfort zone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess we are debating semantics here. I'm all in favor of trying new things & having new experiences while diving, but why look for trouble? I took the "pushing your comfort zone" idea as intentionaly putting yourself in a situation that could be dangerous to you or those around you. I've been diving since 1968 & diving itself will find a way to present these dangerous situations without the need to go looking for them! :D

Spectrum couldn't have given any better advice. He's right on. Don't go too deep too fast and realize all dives to the same depth are different and have different challenges. You have to be prepared for anything.

6 hrs of an 8 hour static line parachute course was training incase something went wrong. Keep all scenarios in mind. A lot of your training should be somewhat similar before going deep beyond recreational.

Small steps is how I did it and I don't regret taking 3-4 years until I finally dove the U-853 and that was with the guidance of a good dive master.

PSD training and the work is about pushing your limits as every working dive can be very challenging. Even after well over 30 years of being a PSD I have been on dives where you couldn’t drive a straight pin up my butt with a Jack Hammer. This business is not the clam relaxed enjoyable venture recreational diving has to offer. It can constantly push your limits so you need to be ready to push and sometimes push hard.

One saying we adhere to is: We risk a lot to save a life. We risk little to save little and we risk nothing to save nothing.

What department are you with Lowvis?

Gary D.

This business is not the clam relaxed enjoyable venture recreational diving has to offer. It can constantly push your limits so you need to be ready to push and sometimes push hard.

One saying we adhere to is: We risk a lot to save a life. We risk little to save little and we risk nothing to save nothing.

What department are you with Lowvis?

Gary D.

I'm certified but I'm not a PSD. I'm one of the fill-ins that departments use to keep the cost down. PSD training is invaluable to me because it is everything that sport diving isn't. (My opinion and I'm sticking to it.) When things go bad, and they have, I find my PSD skills far superior to my sport skills in keeping me calm and effective. I've been hopelessly entangled in a muddy lake in a complete blackout. Knowing that my backup was already on the tether, my profiler was on my breathing rate, and my tender knew exactly where I was on the pattern, was enough reassurance that I found myself searching for the babydoll while I waited. I really respect you guys, I know how demanding training scenarios can be but can't imagine doing the same thing with a victim's family members and the press watching. Or even worse, declining the recovery due to unacceptable risk.

[Support your local PSD team!]

My question about pushing limits has yielded some very good responses. When I'm sport diving, I'm four people short of a team so I'm extremely careful about what constitutes a "push" on my part, thus my post. I'm looking for new "reasonable" pushes, -I don't want to give you PSD guys & gals any more work than you already have:D

I'll be pushing my comfort limits this summer. My 13 year old daughter will be getting certified. While she's studying her bookwork for her class in June, I'll be practicing skills. Then once she's cert'd she and I'll practice the skills together. I want to stress to her have fun, but be safe while doing so.

offer their suggestions on how they push their own comfort zones?

I do training for SWAT cops. That's the shorthand description. We get to play cops and robbers with a lot of special effects.

We have put sub-miniature cameras on their helmets, we have tied heart monitors to them. Yes- you are right... when scenarios are done well it can really put a stress on the subject.

Under stress, you will always revert to your training. This training can occur under controlled supplied environments that include orchestrated scenarios, or simply you going to the pool and repeatedly threading yourself through that blue polyethylene barrel.

You can come up with your own training. One of the single (seemingly) most useless skills that we used to teach for basic SCUBA certification was the act of breathing u/w out of a SCUBA cylinder, simply feathering the valve and sipping from the valve stem nipple.

Seemed pretty dumb, right? I mean... what's that for?
Your regs go to complete negative failure and you're supposed to doff the tank, disassemble it and start sucking air out of the valve stem all the while not wanting inhale 3000 psi in one gulp? What's the use in that?

What's the use in that or swimming through that blue poly drum? It puts you outside your comfort zone. Both are used in training for Public Safety Diver. (PSD)

Start with the basic stuff, we do this for SWAT~ stuff we learned from the military divers. Relieve the diver of his senses (what little are still remaining available underwater). How to do this?

Tape over the mask. Completely black is interesting, but also consider giving him tiny slits or pinholes. Or just fuzz it up really badly with layers of plastic bags. This simulates a couple of different things- diminished viz in the water column, also mask loss.

Task Loading You've seen Men of Honor, right? Simulate the same assembly scenario. Better yet, get them u/w and hand them a small LEGO puzzle, new in the box. Of course it will be full of air and needs to be opened, all the while preserving the instructions. Let them find out if LEGO pieces float. The smart ones will gingerly test the physics before they commit.

Now hand them the same LEGO type toy- this time let them wear kitchen mitts.

Any u/w task, even if choreographed and well rehearsed... will take 1.5x longer under water.

My first challenge was to install a simple sacrificial anode collar to a prop shaft, Two pieces clamshell around the prop, insert the bolts, lock washer, nuts... not hard... right? Luckily I pre-visualized it and brought a canvas bucket to hang underneath the shaft to catch the stuff I dropped, to keep the parts handy, etc. Pre visualization and the mastery of it will save your behind many times to come.

For AOW divers I often utilize a Fischer Price toy ball that has slots of various shapes that correspond to different small pieces. (I have glued a penny inside each piece to make them negatively buoyant- to sink). Time it on the surface, time it at depth after 35 minutes.

There are many scenarios that you might well conjure up, but always have a standby safety diver, not just the supervising instructor. I don't know much that can't be done in 5 feet of water or less.

Stay safe.

"Train hard, for the day will come." -Ed Mohn

If no one ever pushed beyond that which has already been experienced, the word "exploration" would not exist. What a sad and boring world that would be. Knowlege cannot be found without exploration.
No one can tell you what is challenging for you - everyone has different opinions of what is "scary" or "difficult". Good luck and keep challenging yourself!

-Recently completed another public safety diver course. I enjoy these because they push me in a controlled but somewhat intimidating environment. This sort of training makes me a better and safer diver (I also meet a lot of really interesting people). Since I can't be taking a course every other week, who is willing to offer their suggestions on how they push their own comfort zones?

I would only recommend pushing yourself like that in the presence of a qualified instructor, I/T, or C/D.

Someone mentions stress. A stressful moment under the sea can almost put more demands on your heart and cadio pulmonary system than playing 90 minutes of midfield of an intense soccer match.

So also keep in shape and give that heart a moderate workout that will also probably increase your lung functionality. All important to handle a tough day of diving.

I would only recommend pushing yourself like that in the presence of a qualified instructor, I/T, or C/D.

I agree completely. Thanks for putting the warning out there for others reading this thread.

RoatanMan is right on top of what I'm looking for. Simple tasks with plastic taped to the mask -have to try that. Thanks all, really good feedback.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom