[Q] Hooded step-in vest over or under wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kc_diver

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Recently I bought a new full length 5mm wetsuit. It's my first custom-made suit and the fit is just perfect. The same company also makes step-in hooded vests with crotch strap and a diagonal zipper in the front. I will need it for the colder dive sites in the area. Since the vest is also custom-made I have the choice to either wear it under or on top of my wetsuit. If I choose the latter they simply make the vest a little bit bigger.

What would be the best choice here in terms of comfort and insulation? What should I consider before making my choice? It seems that wearing it on top is more convenient and that it's the more logical thing to do but advice from divers with practical experience would be very welcome. :)

The hooded step-in's are designed to be worn over a full suit. A chicken vest is worn under see more here.

Pete

Thanks Pete!

I just discovered a similar topic on this board. I guess I'll be wearing the vest on top.

Recently I bought a new full length 5mm wetsuit. It's my first custom-made suit and the fit is just perfect. The same company also makes step-in hooded vests with crotch strap and a diagonal zipper in the front. I will need it for the colder dive sites in the area. Since the vest is also custom-made I have the choice to either wear it under or on top of my wetsuit. If I choose the latter they simply make the vest a little bit bigger.

What would be the best choice here in terms of comfort and insulation? What should I consider before making my choice? It seems that wearing it on top is more convenient and that it's the more logical thing to do but advice from divers with practical experience would be very welcome. :)
Hi KC,
I know this is an old post but the vest you have described is exactly what I am looking for. (But cannot find) Can you please pm me or is it ok to just say the name of the manufacturer who made the vest for you? Thanx in advance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom