Question about air2's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I have a rookie question. Can you dive with an air2 AND have an octo? Not saying you would want to but could you? Still learning about the equipment side of things so be gentle.

Heck, let's get all the debates going in one thread.

Your kids trim looks pretty bad. Nice fins.. he needs them to stay neutral.

LOL..For some reason I was more concerned about his ability to handle the scuba failure emergency and use a weapon to protect me from the aggressive eel on that particular dive...
icosm14.gif

Also, how do fins make a person neutral?

---------- Post added May 30th, 2013 at 06:43 AM ----------

So I have a rookie question. Can you dive with an air2 AND have an octo? Not saying you would want to but could you? Still learning about the equipment side of things so be gentle.

Sure, you could do that. Not necessary, but could be done.

The pony is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Rely on your buddy skills for redundancy. Otherwise you are both solo diving.

Don't know about that. Depending on conditions - specifically low vis, with current - it can be VERY easy for even an experienced diver to lose a buddy. A redundant gas supply (pony, independent doubles, or manifolded doubles with a quick isolating valve shutdown) can be very helpful, especially in situations where a quick CESA may not be the best solution.

Also, nothing wrong with solo diving (assuming the right training, dive selection and gear), but that's another thread!

Yoke o-rings are known to fail. Go with DIN.

+1

Backmount pony puts the valve and reg where you can't see it. Sling it like a stage.

+1

Sure you can. You could even, if your 1st stage reg has unused LP ports, have an Air2, a primary 2nd stage and more than one octo. Share air with the entire boat. :)

Don't know about that. Depending on conditions - specifically low vis, with current - it can be VERY easy for even an experienced diver to lose a buddy. A redundant gas supply (pony, independent doubles, or manifolded doubles with a quick isolating valve shutdown) can be very helpful, especially in situations where a quick CESA may not be the best solution.

Also, nothing wrong with solo diving (assuming the right training, dive selection and gear), but that's another thread!

FWIW, I was playing devils advocate on those two points. I choose to solo dive and I often choose to sling a pony on buddy dives.

Is solo diving not something that a diver can acquire necessary skills, knowledge, and abilities on their own without additional training? I was solo diving long before I took the SDI course. I needed the course because I needed the card to dive solo on a live-a-board.

Is solo diving not something that a diver can acquire necessary skills, knowledge, and abilities on their own without additional training? I was solo diving long before I took the SDI course. I needed the course because I needed the card to dive solo on a live-a-board.

Sure, but the same can (and has) been said by divers about every other card out there. There were a lot of VERY experienced divers who had thousands of dives by the time that c-cards became widespread. But today, there are situations where the card is needed for you to dive solo (like a liveaboard). Also, our local quarry requires the card for solo diving there too.

I actually thought the online SDI course was helpful and pretty easy to do. Did the cert with Wookie on his terrific live aboard (the MV Spree) this year. I recommend both...

Solo diving, pony tanks, and combo inflators, all in the same thread.

Should we add in some chat about gun control and global warming? :)

Sure: Gun control is hitting what you aimed at.

Simple enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom