Question about dive logs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That guy you quoted said he was an instructor and didn't show his card. I want the name of the guy that ok'd him to go. I have some very nice beach front property with natural white sand and the clearest ocean water here in Missouri I'm cheap selling.

Land is cheap in Missouri for a reason.

You don't need the name of the guy, he knows an experienced diver when he sees and talks to one. There are other circumstances other than just "showing" a C card, for example being in a Navy uniform with one of these
DIVERMASTER.png

on the first time you walk into the shop, but that doesn't matter right? That's no indicator of experience or qualification, right? I mean, what does the US Navy teach that PADI or NAUI doesn't? Or the fact that I had a instructor number in the PADI system. Or the fact I live only a few blocks from the dive shop and I'm well known in the community. None of those things matter. Only the fact I didn't present my C-card and the shop owner took my word for it given the extenuating circumstances, and the fact he checked it in the system, so he's a bad guy.

Of course in your facility you would demand every card AND log book wouldn't you? Maybe I'll pass on diving in Missouri as my C card may not be enough for you.

Just wondering if anyone has any custom or downloadable log pages for print at home?
Um... if you read this thread, there are several of us who have posted our particular versions. If you like mine, I even have it in two-page PDF format for those with duplexing printers. Just scroll up to my previous post about it.

I for one have a dive computer.
I picked up the download kit for it too.

I started out using the little log book in my NAUI OW kit...
Granted its a dumplicat of the same dives from my dive computer... It just has the signature of the Instuctor in it.

I like the Program the dive computer has built in. It lets me set up a locations and dive site data base, A dive boat data Base, Even an equipment manager and dive kit data base.

You can also record your dive buddy, the weights, what equipment you dove with... etc.

I print it out 8.5x11 and use a plastic slip sleave binder to hold them. (Currently looking for a dry case verision to hold them.

The dive computer table tracks everything as far as depth, times, temps, etc...
(See Sunnto Cobra II online)

It even has a number of user defined slots that I can define as what I want to have included.
I added: Instructor, Dive Goal, and a few other items.

The dive profile and the little markers it automatically keeps or even bearing points it saves with th built in compass are interesting to review. I didn't realise I'd had a few accent rate violations as I was being pushed along my Surge over rocks etc. untill I revied the printouts.

If you plug in the tank size you use it creates your SAC rate and air use data.

I still like to be redundant so I manualy add the NAUI dive graphic and record the NAUI dive table data at the bottom of the page. If the battery dies or something happens, I can pick up where I was from my dive buddy's gauges or my backups and I'm not stuck out of the water for 24 hours...

I can also plan/test a dive manually or with the dive computer. Though I haven't mastered the planning part on the dive computer yet.

With the dive computer I can also get my total dive time and a lot of other data that would be harder to track otherwise.

Hey, I was against relying on a computer to start with, I had planed to be old school.It was however included with my package deal from the LDS. Fine, I'd try it out and if it sucked get a refund and buy the manual gauges for less money.

After reviewing it's downloads and comparing it to my notes on the dive slate durring my first long weekend of diving. I was DAMN glad to have the dive computer to watch my back. It could be very easy to get yourself in trouble with minor errors in your records. After multiple dives... you could get pretty crossed up in your status.

On a dive boat instead of having to crunch numbers on a soggy peice of paper and in crowded space on a small boat rolling with waves... You just peek at your dive computer for the surface interval time and confirm if you can dive to X depth yet without a DECO stop.

I've seen a lot of different styles of dive logs out there, and it seems like no two logs ask for the same information, so I was wondering...what information is bottom-line necessary in a dive log? Let's say I wanted to just use a spiral notebook (or some write-in-the-rain paper), and jot out the information myself...what information do I really need to know? FOr example, one log asked the company providing the dive service, as well as the weight of my tank (both of which seem a little superfluous), while another had a line where I could write both the location and the dive site (which would seem to me to be the same thing.)

If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it!

Put the information YOU want to know in your dive log. Personally I have Location (ex: Tobermory, Ontario), Dive Site (Ex: Arabia, Wetmore, other wreck names), Dive buddy (with signature line :D), air and water temp, dive time, dive depth, psi used, equipment configuration and weight carried with it and cumulative dive time (how many hours I've been underwater in my life). I also add postcards and other memorabilia plus lots of notes about the dive to my log.
Ber :lilbunny:

There are also online log books you can use. (See my sig line for mine). I tend to record information at different times. I have a computer with a downloadable detailed log, so I don't have to record date, times, depth, bottom time, temp. I do record (not in the log book itself, but usually in my wetnotes) location (ie. Lake Michigan), site (Wreck: Frank O'Connor), psi in/out and anything cool I saw or did. Once I get home, I then download the details off of my computer and (1) update my basic paper log (I use the Trident log with water resistant paper that captures 5 dives per page for the times when a dive op needs to verify my experience (2) a spreadsheet I use to calculate SAC and RMV and (3) my DiveRecord.com log book for a more detailed account of the dive.

That's my system and it works to meet my needs. That's all that matters. Coming up with something that works for you. Out of 10 other divers, there will be 10 different ways of doing it ... and that's AOK!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom