Question about maximum depth???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon:
thats when most accidents and fatalities occur.
Not that I advocate this practice BUT comments like this are entirerly unfounded.

What statistics do you have to say "thats when most accidents and fatalities occur."

If you look at the DAN accident reports you will find, at least with their reporting, that your comment is not true or in any way credible.

jonnythan:
Boondocks, walk me through a scenario...

You and your buddy are at 150 feet on air spearing fish. You have a regulator hose rupture and find yourself very quickly with no breathable air.

What exactly do you do?
you are at 120' same thing happens???? It boils down to training...

Chad Carney:
Advanced Nitrox, Decompression Procedures and Advanced Spearfishing would be the proper courses to take. Find a technical instructor that seriously participates in spearfishing, not cave or wreck only. Equipment is best suited to the specialized needs of the sport.

It's a common misconception that spearfishers are always darting around and overexerting. At least the good ones are not.

Jonnythan,

Assuming one of my fresh, well inspected LP hoses still blew, a switch to my second primary, followed by an immediate shutdown of the bad side of the valve, would be in order. Then assess the gas supply and ascend to recreational depths at least. The depth and time of the dive and terrain of the site will dictate if the hunt is over. (Although solo was the planned dive mode, it's possible my buddy might have heard the failure and may be investigating.) If terminating the dive, the tank may be good for another shallower drop later in the day.

Since this dive is borderline ER, especially by spearing standards, the narcosis level is managable for a calm, experienced diver. A lean nitrox would be a sufficient mix.

Chad
Obviously *you* have the skill and training to deal with this sort of emergency.

However, the original poster appears to be diving to 150' on air on a single tank with no training.. quite a different situation compared to you doing it on doubles with training and probably trimix.

This is why I specifically proposed the question to the original poster, and not someone with the proper training. He does not seem to have sufficient training or gear to conduct this type of dive, and I posed the question to get him to think about what would happen in this sort of situation.

Here in the bottom of the Philippines we only have air. Majority of the Phils actually is air diving. It is also deep diving. I have never said "going deep on air is stupid".

That said, when I go deep on air, I am focused on myself. I get narced and feel it lots of times. What worries me is if you are engaged in some other activity and will not feel it because you are so focused on that. Isnt that how narcosis works? You will be so focused on getting that big fish you will forget about your air or NDL? Then you start breathing hard. And next......

ScubaSixString:
In addition to increased air consumption, lowered NDLs and getting narced, what do you mean by "You basically just drop down and shoot the biggest fish you see and then come up."? Because if you basically drop down from 30 ft to 150 shoot something then rocket back up, within NDLs or not, you can bend yourself.

I think you've suggested the answer yourself...you don't rocket back up. You shouldn't rocket up from any depth including 20fsw.

in_cavediver:
First, I don't spear fish but I do dive to 150'. I have done it on air in a cave and don't care to do it again if I can help it. I took the trimix route. Definitely look at adv. nitrox or deco procedures course and think about redundant gear. After that, you'll be in better shape to make your own assessment of the dives. After all, its your #@$ down there

If he was cave diving I would give the same advice you are giving. You stay in a cave longer and have a chance for more problems to come up that need a clear head than a relatively short dive for fish at 150fsw.

nauidiver2004:
Interesting. I didn't see any lectures in this post at all, just opinions. Wait, let me see...

August 2003, a new diver with 500 - 1000 dives? Wow, what cert course did you have to go thru?

To reply to the first part of your response...I was referring to Spoon.

As for the second part, I have the dives as stated.

gcbryan:
If he was cave diving I would give the same advice you are giving. You stay in a cave longer and have a chance for more problems to come up that need a clear head than a relatively short dive for fish at 150fsw.

I mentioned my expierence at 150 for credibility, the been there done that, learned from it idea. My advice should stand for ANYONE diving to 150'. Get the basic training to understand what is involved in safely diving to that depth. Then make an informed decision for yourself.

perpet1:
Not that I advocate this practice BUT comments like this are entirerly unfounded.

What statistics do you have to say "thats when most accidents and fatalities occur."

If you look at the DAN accident reports you will find, at least with their reporting, that your comment is not true or in any way credible.

i should have been clear. in the philippines, most spearfishing fatalities occured when the spearfishermen dove deep on air and never came back. its documented and i know of at least 10 cases in the last 5 years. if you want i can pm you the reports.

partridge:
Here in the bottom of the Philippines we only have air. Majority of the Phils actually is air diving. It is also deep diving. I have never said "going deep on air is stupid".

That said, when I go deep on air, I am focused on myself. I get narced and feel it lots of times. What worries me is if you are engaged in some other activity and will not feel it because you are so focused on that. Isnt that how narcosis works? You will be so focused on getting that big fish you will forget about your air or NDL? Then you start breathing hard. And next......

i agree with you 100%. more than 95% of the divers here no nothing but air.

Back
Top Bottom