Question for my wife,

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt B

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
She was wondering if any woman just wear tights to dive in, or something similar. She likes to wear a rash guard on top and doesn't really care for skins she has seen. Suggestions?

Depends entirely on how cold the water is and how susceptible you are to feeling the cold. Some people just go in with a rashie and a bikini, no tights or skins at all. The only thing I'd be cautious about with tights is that they snag on stuff. I've just got a pair of regular running compression tights that I use when the water is really warm (we have stingy things to worry about and I won't dive without full length exposure protection of some sort). I hate most of the stuff the dive manufacturers make in this regard, but you should be able to find something at the local sports shop that works just as well.

For skin protection it should have a tight weave that keeps out stingers and blocks sunlight. Some stretchy women's tights open up the weave exposing skin, like the famous LuLulemon Sheer Yoga Pants Disaster (17% recalled after this problem was "revealed").

She was wondering if any woman just wear tights to dive in, or something similar. She likes to wear a rash guard on top and doesn't really care for skins she has seen. Suggestions?
Dive Skin Rashguard Pants | MAKO Spearguns

MDSRP-2T.jpg

For pool work since I get cold I wear a rash guard with a pair of UnderArmor workout leggings that are a pretty substantial material. I'd look for something that that.

Plain old yoga pants

I've seen quite a few ladies dive in their swimsuits with or without rashie, and I think it depends on individual tolerance towards cold.

While I'm a tropical fish who has to wear full 3mm (minimum), I couldn't see why others should do the same if they are comfortable with rashie and tights.

For skin protection it should have a tight weave that keeps out stingers and blocks sunlight.

This too.

If she is ok with something a little heavier/warmer, she could look at the lavacore or sharkskin pants. Will be more expensive than anything lycra, but also more durable and protective. I've taken to wearing lavacore pants with a rashguard or my front-zip paddleboard jacket. When warmth isn't a huge concern separate tops and bottoms are nice, plus torso length isn't an issue like it can be with full suits.

Both my daughters like yoga pants, both under their wetsuits and by themselves. They have convinced my wife to try it for really warm water so I guess the arguments were pretty good.

I really hope all these yoga pants preferring females read up on LULUlemon yoga pants because a sunburnt backside is going to smart!

Back
Top Bottom