Question on dive watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most open water, courses are now taught using dive computers. The old video (must be old if you 'stumbled' across it) shows the older approach - watch/depth gauge and tables.

You can get an entry-level dive computer for around the same price as a decent, dedicated dive watch.

IMHO, you need something rated to/beyond 300m depth to be sure it is 'waterproof' for diving.

If you want something to wear for both diving and non-diving, then look at the range of watch-sized dive computers. They cost more than the hockey-puck sized dive computers, but provide the same functions (and do more to display your diving interests than a dive-style watch would, if that's a consideration for you).

There's normally a healthy market for second-hand dive computers; so eBay and Craigs List are a good starting point if you are on a budget.

The only reason I wear a watch for diving now is because I want a 'second hand' for precise timing. That's an instructor/technical thing... and isn't a necessity for most divers.

I would recommend a real dive watch made for diving like this one: Scubapro Dive Watch

10 atmospheres = 330 feet = 100 meters. I would not trust this for diving.

---------- Post added February 25th, 2014 at 09:21 PM ----------

I personally would go for this one because I prefer analog watches and know how to tell time on one. Casio G-Shock Antimagnetic Diver Watch, G100-1BV

Antimagnetic designed to resist the time warping effects of magnetic forces. :rofl3:

You need a fairly strong magnetic field to warp time by any significant amount.

Since I'm an absolute tightwad, and don't know what a "real" dive watch is, I've taken my $43.00 Timex Reef Gear watch diving with me around the world several times, not to mention wearing it every day when I built our house. Toughest, most reliable watch I ever owned ... from Walmart.com.

Attachments

• IMG_2928.jpg
    IMG_2928.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 343
I would recommend a real dive watch made for diving like this one: Scubapro Dive Watch

I've seen lots of cheap generic watches, sold with different brand names upon them. I guess '50th Anniversary' meant a bump-up to Citizen internals. Huge price for that level of quality (reduced price, still expensive). 10atm not up to par with 'real' dedicated dive watches (30atm).

Got to admire your tenacity for plugging an advert though :wink:

Reactions: RJP
I've heard that once you replace the battery it's more likely to flood.

Yes and No. To maintain the depth rating the battery needs to be changed at a specialized facility. If not, then the watch is fine for normal wear but not for diving.

Yes and No. To maintain the depth rating the battery needs to be changed at a specialized facility. If not, then the watch is fine for normal wear but not for diving.

It's not so much the 'specialized' process to change the battery - but, more importantly, they'll do a dry pressure test to confirm the waterproofing before giving it back to you.

It's not so much the 'specialized' process to change the battery - but, more importantly, they'll do a dry pressure test to confirm the waterproofing before giving it back to you.

I am not sure what the exact process is. For the Aqualand watch, Citizen recommends that the watch be sent to one of their recommended facilities for a battery change rather than to an ordinary jeweler. For an inexpensive watch, it is cheaper to buy a new one then to send it off for a battery change.

"In a stunning turn of events, Beaverdivers recommends a ScubaPro product..."

:d

PS - $99 Citizen watch + SP logo = $325 watch?

---------- Post added February 26th, 2014 at 03:06 AM ----------

Got to admire your tenacity for plugging an advert though :wink:

I'm actually beginning to wonder if he/she is really just a web 'bot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom