Question on NITROX certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swan1172

Contributor
Reaction score
There are a three different dive centers (PADI, NAUI and SSI) in my area that offer NITROX certification. Some of them have classes and dives, and some offer the class only with no dives necessary.

What is your opinion of taking the NITROX classes without dives. As I have been told, the breathing is the same.

Thanks!

Swan1172:
There are a three different dive centers (PADI, NAUI and SSI) in my area that offer NITROX certification. Some of them have classes and dives, and some offer the class only with no dives necessary.

What is your opinion of taking the NITROX classes without dives. As I have been told, the breathing is the same.

Thanks!

You might as well get a couple of dives in. You shouldn't turn down an excuse to dive.

The main process behind Nitrox is understanding how the Nitrox tables work and how to apply them to diving. Of course all kinds of saftey stuff is included including P02, etc.

The benifit of doing the dives is that you apply what you have learned. It's also a good excuse to go diving. You'll get arguments from people as to whether this is really required or not.....

On comparing courses from different shops (regardless of agency), besides finding an instructor that you are comfortable with, see what's included with the "package". Some will include the student-book-set and some it will be extra. Some will include the check out dives (quarry fee) and some won't. Some will include Nitrox tanks and some won't. Example: to rent nitrox tanks (with air fill) will run you about $14 each (+/- depending on area/shop).

Yes the breathing is the same. You won't breath any less "gas" than with a normal air tank. The advantages of Nitrox are a bigger saftey margin, longer diver times allowed per tables, more dives per day, and some say that you won't be as tired as breathing with regular old air.

Hope that helps.

-mike

I did the PADI because thats who my other training was with. I am planning on taking the NAUI course for a refresher to Nitrox and to try another group of instructors and agency.

Are the check-out dives required for the certification? I am looking to do this over the winter, so the possibilty of doing any dives will have to wait until at least May.

has two Nitrox cert. One is classroom and no dives. The other is classroom and two dives. The cards look the same but are reverse color. Green card w/yellow writing is Enriched Air w/o dives and Yellow card with green strip in center is training with dives. I took the card with the dives. We reviewed after the dives, checked our po2 and CNS, and EAD charts just to make sure we knew how to use the charts etc. Also, it was important to plan for the MOD so the proper gas was selected prior to the dive. I think to take the course with out the dives is kind of like a priest knowing what marriage is, but never experiencing it for real. My thoughts! :wink:

There are two flavors with the NAUI Nitrox course. The Enriched Air Nitrox Diver is the classroom/exam and 2 open water dives. The Enriched Air Nitrox course is the classroom and exam. There is no difference between the classroom of either course.

Thats correct, my NAUI center makes no mention of this--[This course may be taught as a NAUI Recognition Program if the open water training dives are not included. Recognition may be upgraded to EANx Diver certification upon completion (within six months) of the required dives under supervision of a NAUI EANx Instructor.]
They say "Unlike PADI you don't have to make any dives".

I teach SSI Nitrox. According to the agency, the dives are optional. My course includes the dives, as I think they have value.
Rick

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom