Question on NITROX certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swan1172:
There are a three different dive centers (PADI, NAUI and SSI) in my area that offer NITROX certification. Some of them have classes and dives, and some offer the class only with no dives necessary.

What is your opinion of taking the NITROX classes without dives. As I have been told, the breathing is the same.

Thanks!

There are NAUI instructors that while not Required, will strongly suggest (or maybe even refuse to instruct) unless the student is willing to dive. PADI requires the diving.

I have NOT taken the Nitrox couse, but am signed up, and have my materials.

The course work is the critical element as it's been pointed out, breathing Nitrox is no different than breathing air. However part of the PADI training is working the P02 calculations in a real world diving scenerio, and planning multiple dives using the calculations.

Doing it in a class is well and good, but IMO the experience of doing it in a diving situation is also valuable.

Ron

I agree, you should have to do a couple of dives. Mentored in the field start to finish run after a day or two to ponder over all the classroom learning.

It's nice to do the dives with it, since you get a chance to try out all your new calculations, for real, on yourself, while someone who knows what they're doing is watching you.

All the safety and gas calculation content from the class is very important.

This is a class that you want to take from someone who really knows their stuff and will take the time to make sure that you know it too.

Getting in a couple of dives would also be nice!

Terry

Swan1172:
There are a three different dive centers (PADI, NAUI and SSI) in my area that offer NITROX certification. Some of them have classes and dives, and some offer the class only with no dives necessary.

What is your opinion of taking the NITROX classes without dives. As I have been told, the breathing is the same.

Thanks!

The dives have definete value. Your not gonna get better at diving EAN because of the dives but your instructor can take the time to teach you many other things. If the difference is more than 100$ I guess I would forego the dives and use the money for another class but if its close DO THEM.

Yes ..... The advantages of Nitrox are a bigger saftey margin, longer diver times allowed per tables, more dives per day, and some say that you won't be as tired as breathing with regular old air.

Hope that helps.

-mike

Incorrect when taken as a whole sentance.
bigger safety margin only if you are using air tables!
longer dive times if you are using nitrox tables.
more dives per day? not necessarily unless you are again using air tables.

All nitrox does is load up the N2 slower, but if you fully load up it doesn't matter if you fully loaded on Air or EAN.

I live in the Northeast and althought I'd prefer to have dives with my Nitrox Course, it is not really possible for warm water divers to do dives in the winter..

Good news is, that I am doing my nitrox course on tuesday and will be going on the Nekton Pilot in March .. I ll have plent of dives to practice with my new Nitrox Dive comp ! :dazzler1:

PADI's NitrOx is a little different from their other courses. Usually PADI says a training dive can count toward only one course. However, with NitrOx, one dive can count toward two courses. Examples, you can do NitrOx on your final Open Water dive and it also counts as dive 1 toward your NitrOx course. Or you can do a night dive that counts toward both Night and NitrOx courses. etc.

This might appeal to some divers.

The dives arent just practicing diving EAN comp or tables, during my two dives my Instr introduced me to deepstops (wich go hand in hand w/ EAN IMO), we shot a bag did skills (OOA, mask R2, etc) and we also practiced rescuing a oxtoxing diver.

But Can see that if you live in a cold place you cant do the dives or whatever. Are they giving you a discount???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom