Questions about wearing a BP/W w/o a wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have lots of rash guard/swim shorts only (no wetsuit) dives in my H bp/w - the mc storage pouch takes care of any wingnut issues.

Jackie

If you buy a DSS wing to go on the DSS plate you don't have to worry about any bolts or wing nuts protruding through and hurting your back. My DSS rig is very comfortable with just a t-shirt.

How many of you dive in tropical water without a wetsuit?

Is is still as comfortable with just a t-shirt?

If it is, what specific setup do you dive? Any padding on the straps?

I'm considering making the switch, especially for travel reasons but I never dive anywhere a wetsuit is needed.

Anyone ever wore DSS's Kydex backplate over a t-shirt?

I have many dives in the Carribean and here in Florida wearing my Halcyon Eclipse without a wetsuit. I wear a t- shirt and have no problems with wing nuts or anything else digging into my back. I have a basic hog set up, no padding. If your harness is adjusted correctly, it will be just as comfortable without a wetsuit as with one. :palmtree: Bob

I also am a fan of diving with a BP/W and no wetsuit.

I did several dives last year without any covering on my upper body but that led to sunburn so now I dive a 1mm rashy.... no issue with any of the wingnuts digging into my spine!

Diving with on wetsuit feels so free and immersive compared with diving without one - don't look back - you won't regret it!

Here's my rig:

HowWeDive.png

I've gone au naturel a few times in my singles rig with absolutely no problems. It's a Halcyon SS backplate with an Eclipse wing, and I was diving steel 72s. I don't have any kind of padding on the harness.

It's cool to see someone else who dives with the minimalist mindset. I have basicaly the same rig but I have an old single cam plastic backpack instead of the ss bp. I still have to use weight but the plastic is comfortable and stable. I'm thinking about getting a ss bp so I can get rid of the weight and use a wing once in a while.

It's cool to see someone else who dives with the minimalist mindset. I have basicaly the same rig but I have an old single cam plastic backpack instead of the ss bp. I still have to use weight but the plastic is comfortable and stable. I'm thinking about getting a ss bp so I can get rid of the weight and use a wing once in a while.

I love diving without a wetsuit, but I have no problem diving my drysuit when the water gets cold.:wink:
The only reason I wear a nylon t- shirt is to prevent a sunburn, because I burn easily. BTW Alex, great picture and Avatar :palmtree: Bob

Back
Top Bottom