Questions for Suunto owners.

What describes you?

• Own one or more of these models (Cobra, Vyper, Vytec, Mosquito, D3)

Votes: 109 79.0%
  • Own one or more of these models (Stinger, Scorpion)

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • Own two or more (models from both of the above categories)

Votes: 21 15.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well, first of all the two types of suunto computers we're talking about have different pin arrangements which generally requires a person to purchase two separate interfaces if they happen to have say a cobra and a stinger since these two have different pin arrangements. If you had a cobra and a mosquito, vyper,vytec, or D3, then you would only need one interface as all of these have the same pin arrangement. To answer your question, the interface allows the user to download dive info from their dive computer to their PC and adjust dive computer settings with the PC. This interface would serve to save money over having to buy two separate interfaces. Given the cost of some interfaces, this could be a substantial savings. I am told, due to the policies of this board, I can no longer provide pricing information publically for the interfaces I build. If you or anyone is interested, please visit my site or email me.
You would not be able to download information or settings of two dive computers at the same time. I don't think thats what you were asking, but I wanted to clarify it just in case. These connect to a serial port. I don't know of any offered that connect to a usb port. Either computer would be a good choice, but since I own a cobra, I obviosly am biased towards suunto. Also, if it is of any importance to you, interfaces for suuntos generally are cheaper or can be anyway in that you can build one yourself from readily available and pretested plans.

Have a stinger with 60 or so dives. Just bought a Cobra for redundancy & AI. Haven't really even been able to use it yet.

Struck a deal with the Cobra seller & ended up getting the interface and disconnect "thrown in" . Already had the Stinger interface.

Was a little disappointed that they were different. Wish they were USB! Have to swap out the serial plugs instead of being able to just leave them both hot all the time. Not that big a deal though.

I also have a serial cable for a GPS interface All of my slots arefull of things like a fire wire card for my camcorder, and a SCSI card for another piece of hardware, and all my IDEs are full. I'm just going to get an extension cord and live with it.

I'm inside it so much I don't even put the cover bck on it anymore

I used to do that, but I took diving back up and now I'd rather spend the money on dive gear!

Either that or my sailboat

Right now all I have is the AI Cobra. Works very well with the PC interface. I do have to agree with Raybo, that a USB connection would be very nice. Most advanced computer peripherals are at least offering that as a interface.

I will more than likely add a Vyper to the stable as a backup since the interface is the same. The workings of the computer are similar and that way the learning curve is cut down.

Just picked up a D3 and will order the kit from you shortly. O-ring pointed me to your site.

Dave D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom