Quick Disconnect - Good or bad?

Quick Disconnect - good or bad?

• Good - makes life more convenient

Votes: 38 63.3%
  • No - more hassle than its worth

Votes: 22 36.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a QD on my Oceanic computer and have had zero problems. As far as being a failure point, well anythings possible. I feel there's a higher incidence of damaging the computer during transport while traveling. I've never left home without it and don't see it as a theft risk as I can easily take it with me. just my humble opinion.

I love mine.But then I like my gadgets.I've yet to leave it anywhere kinda helps that I live with my dive buddy who always watches out for me.(Hubby)

Jen

Just another point of failure.

It should be on your wrist anyway.

I have the Suunto version, and haven't had any problems with it.

I like the fact I no longer have to haul my regs into the room with the computer - it's much more conveinent.

And I guess I'm not as old as some others here, and Alzenheimers hasn't set in yet. :wink: I haven't had a problem forgetting it hooked up to the computer or leaving it anywhere. After downloading the latest dives, I make a point of putting it away into my gear bag.

Failure point? Maybe, but everything's a possible failure point, so I figure one more isn't going to hurt.

Marc :jester:

great thing to have, allows you to download w/o bringing the whole 1st stage. just got a suunto cobra w/ QD very nice!!!!!!!!! two thumbs up!

I have the Oceanic Pro Plus 2 w/ QD. I like the convenience of not having to drag the whole first stage to the computer. As for the theft issues, I just make sure there are no opportunities for it to get stolen. Having QD also keeps it from getting bumped or damaged during transport (at least I'm telling myself that).

ElectricZombie once bubbled...
Just another point of failure.

It should be on your wrist anyway.

I'm with ElectricZombie on this ... less is more and it's clearly an unnecessary addition adding one more thing that can go wrong (even if it's is convenient). Remember, Scuba equipment is intended for in the water, not out. Well, except maybe Rule #6.

Ideally I'd say get rid of the hose all together and put it on your wrist, you'll be a lot happier.

~<//><

I'm sorry, but I'd have to question the extra failure point argument justification as compared to the encouragement for a hoseless wrist mount (at least if it is an air-integrated model).
The transceviers on these units are more failure prone than the QD's (IMHO).
I like the AI wrist mounts. I agree that this is the way to go. But I wouldn't hide my argument for these with "additional failure points".

jhelmuth once bubbled...
I'm sorry, but I'd have to question the extra failure point argument justification as compared to the encouragement for a hoseless wrist mount (at least if it is an air-integrated model).
The transceviers on these units are more failure prone than the QD's (IMHO).
I like the AI wrist mounts. I agree that this is the way to go. But I wouldn't hide my argument for these with "additional failure points".

Well, I actually wasn't suggesting an AI unit, currently I'm diving with a wrist mounted computer/gauge and an SPG. However, lets put that issue aside (since I happen to own an AI, just not using it right now).

The issue is adding an unnecessary additional failure point and I don't see how one can argue that point. IF you add a quick disconnect, you have added additional failure point. I understand why people do, just don't agree that they should.

~<//><

Additional failure point? Maybe, but probably not and unless you are penetrating something or doing big time deco it really wouldn't be an issue anyway. If you are in an overhead or deco environment regularly then you probably are diving a different gear configuration, like redundant everything.

I have a Smartcom by Uwatec and it has the QD, and that makes taking care of the 800 dollars worth of computer easier, and the computers are less impact resistant than a reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom