Quick Disconnect - Good or bad?

Quick Disconnect - good or bad?

• Good - makes life more convenient

Votes: 38 63.3%
  • No - more hassle than its worth

Votes: 22 36.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the Suunto Cobra with the quick disconnect. I love the ease of taking it off and bringing it to the room with me for completely my dives for the day in my logbook.

I don't care if it only takes a wrench and 5 seconds to put it on, I don't want to do that even one time.

As for leakage, I've never had any trouble.

One problem I did have when I first got this computer, the personal options were set too conservatively. Set them for the least conservative.

Tammy

I use the Aeris Atmos II gauge console with the quick disconnect. So far I have no complaints with the system. I understand that there is a chance that you could leave it at home, but whos fault is that? :rolleyes: If you want to download your dives, or simply review the dives in your car, the quick disconnect makes it very easy.

IMHO, QDs are unecessary piece of accessory. Yes, they're convinient in storing your computer, for use with downloading data to your pc without lugging around the rest of the reg. However, if its easy for you to take it off, it will also be easy for gear muggers from airports, dive resorts ,dive boatrs etc to take it off and steal it! Other than that, if your an avid diver and you have this routine of always disconnecting it, in the long run the o-rings will degrade faster than that of a non QD equipt computer. This will be another additional maintenance issue and you have to put additional attention to it. If not maintained well, it will become a source of fialure(leakage). If it's disconnected, if not properly plugged on the QD end, foreign particles might get in the HP hose.

QD's are nice, but not that essential.

I absolutely love the quick disconnect on my Atmos ai. I can go eat a quiet lunch, sip coffee, and review my dives for the logbook. It's even better when I travel - just throw it in with the carry-on.

Jim

The quick disconnect I used to use leaked regularly. After 2 servicing and countless o-rings, it is now sitting in my closet.

James

Where are you guys diving at, a prison pond? All this talk about scuba theives and air leaks, jeeeez! I have an Uwatec Smart com air integrated w/quick disconnect. I like the disconnect. It leaked the first day, third dive, after I bought it. It just trickled bubbles, no biggy. Uwatec sent me another hose promptly. Whats the big deal, dive what you like, I like the added ease of storage, data transfer, and travel with it on my person to prevent damage. fits nicely in a laptop bag!!!!

For recreational diving I don't buy the failure point argument. You know, the hose could break, the boat could sink, the sky could fall, so what.

Forgetting to put it back on the hose is a possibility, but more of a problem for working professionals who are in and out of the water many times. I know of one busy instructor/dive operator who switched from a normal wrist mount computer to a watch sized dive rite nitek plus that he wears all day because he forgot his computer a few times. However, not everyone is in that situation.

All that said, I don't know what AI brings to the table, but life is too short to debate stuff like that, so go on with one if you like it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom