R095 question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharpenu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I brought my regulator in for service three weeks ago and it cost me $110. It is a ten year old Mares MR22 Abyss and I have done 4 dives since service. The dives were all between 80 and 100 feet. There were no problems, until my octopus died on the last dive. I bought a used Scubapro R095 from my LDS. When I got it home and put it on my reg, it would free flow every time the purge button was pushed, or if you inhaled from it, and would not stop flowing wide open until you blocked the mouthpiece. I brought it in so the LDS could look at it.

IP was measured at 145 psi. The tech replaced the seats. It still did it. Then he noticed that the diaphragm has two holes in it. He didn't have one, and offered to upgrade to a new Octo for free, since they had sold me the broken one. That one free flowed as well. Then they noticed that my primary wasn't delivering much flow. It was close to closing time, so they told me to call back this morning.

I called this morning, and they are telling me that the free flow was caused because the R095 needs an IP of 135, and that 145 is high enough to cause free flow. Is this true? Or should I be looking at another cause?

I suggest a full inspection of your entire regulator at an Authorized SCUBAPRO Dealer. Be sure that it includes the entire regulator with first stage for the IP measurement as mentioned. It does depend on the which first stage is being used and the configuration of the LP port going to the R095.

Though SCUBAPRO Harry's advice was good advice, it doesn't really answer your question. Scubapro's 2nd stages are designed to work with their 1st stages (duh!). Their later first stages have a specified IP of 125-145 psi. Therefore, by definition, there is NO design reason why your R095 shouldn't be tunable to an IP of 145. You do not appear to be getting good dive shop repair advice.

As for your primary not putting out good flow, the most common reason would be an old LP seat which requires that the orifice be screwed in more than usual to seal, at which point the lever falls. If this is not corrected, then pushing the purge button or inhaling does not fully open the valve, since the diaphragm has to drop significantly before engaging the lever. With an incomplete valve opening, flow will be poor.

All this sounds easily fixable, and SCUBAPRO Harry is right. Find a good authorized repair shop. Or learn to test/service your regs yourself, on which subject you'll find tons of advice on this forum.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom