Raja Ampat. Can't decide!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Yall,

My wife and I are headed to Raja Ampat for 2 weeks at the end of Feb. and beginnin g of March. We're stoked. We'll be staying at Max's eco-resort as a lab-mate of hers recommended it.

We'll be a week in BUnaken and a week in Lembeh first.

Anyone who's been to RA, bunaken, or Lembeh recommend an appropriate exposure suit thickness for us? My wife gets super chilly so we're leaning towards 6/3 for her with a hood. We're partial to Oneill (the best wetsuits in my opinion and our local brand here in Monterey Bay, California. I've 5 of them for surfing or diving and lvoe them). I'm going to use a 5ml as we plan to be in the water as much as possible.

Thanks,

gb

Hi Ghoom!

I did Bunaken & Lembeh last June when the cooler currents that bring in the dry season were just starting to come in, so the temps varied wildly in the 10 days we were there. Lembeh was MUCH colder than Bunaken, rainy and windy also. I had my 5 mm and an old stinky hood I found on the boat and sometimes it was just too cold for me to dive (temps in the low70s)

Speaking from my experience I would say BE PREPARED for the chill! but again, I was there in late June, not late February.

Here's a quote from http://www.livingcoloursdiving.com/bunaken_national_marine_park.php
Climate
The climate is tropical with two major seasons. During dry season, which is from April until October, the wind blows from south-east and the sea stays relatively calm. Wet season is from November to March when the cool wind from north-west can bring heavy rains and occasional rough seas. Average air temperature in the region is 27°C varying from 25°C in the wet season to over 30°C in the dry season.

The water temperature around Bunaken National Marine Park ranges between 27°C and 30°C throughout the year. Over the reef flats water temperature may be even higher. Visibility in the area varies from 15 to over 30 meters. You can dive throughout the year.

Have fun, I'm jealous!:wink:
Pamela

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom