Real or Not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK. what insurance company in their right minds would allow the public to have a free diving contest in an animal enclosure? Something fishy about this.

What cracked me up about the article was that "was free diving WITHOUT any equipment".

Hate to be a downer, but this sounds like a publicity stunt...

Dont they usually have safety divers in the water at these kinds of events in case this happens? shouldn't one of them have helped?

well, whales do breathe air, so i am sure they have opportunity to help each other to the surface at times, particularly newborns and elderly or sick whales

if they see a human struggling, it's probably not a stretch for them to think "get them to the surface"

OK. what insurance company in their right minds would allow the public to have a free diving contest in an animal enclosure?

Dont they usually have safety divers in the water at these kinds of events in case this happens? shouldn't one of them have helped?

this was in China, after all ... they probably don't have the same liability rules we do, so ... safety divers are probably not something they thought of

or perhaps the support divers didn't have time to react before the whale got to the diver in trouble

this was in China, after all ... they probably don't have the same liability rules we do, so ... safety divers are probably not something they thought of

or perhaps the support divers didn't have time to react before the whale got to the diver in trouble

You would think that the freedivers would be a bit more conscious of their own safety though. Why no prearranged signal for distress?

What kind of suit was she wearing? As it was an arctic pool I figured it would be more than a lycra suit, but perhaps not. Is she wearing any weight? Just wondering about that too. But yea, I don't know how freediving competitions are run or why they would be done in an arctic pool with belugas...

lol

well, it's China

Yes, I missed it being in China. Nevermind.

Manatees can be equally "social" with humans in the water. Although I don't know of an example of a Manatee rescuing a human...

Back
Top Bottom