Recommendations on which AOW adventure dives to take

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife is preparing to take her AOW in a month by reading through the book. At first I encouraged her to take "useful" electives like Peak Performance Buoyancy, Multilevel, and one other.

But on the other hand, each one is just one dive, just an introduction to certain diving skills, so you could just take the three electives that you find most interesting, even if they aren't the most "practical."

The point of having electives is to give you a chance to kick the tires, even if you might never decide to pursue any of the specialty certifications.

I'd encourage you to read the book before you decide, and as has been said, talk to your instructor, because they might suggest that some of the electives are more practical than others, depending on where you do the dives, and on the instructor's own experience. If they are an expert at one of the electives, maybe take that one. If they have no experience with one of them, why pay them to teach it to you?

I personally think any time spent working on buoyancy is time well spent, since better buoyancy control and trim result in greater comfort in the water, decreased gas use, and improved safety (through better stability in the water column).

In addition, I think it's quite reasonable to do one's first night dive with an instructor, who, with the class materials, may alert you to some strategies for night diving, or some useful equipment, that you might not think of on your own. And night diving is great! Lots of things come out and move around at night that are tucked away in holes in the daytime, so you never see them.

I had no choice in the matter, but wasn't overly sorry for the choices, but it wasn't a "world beating" course. (I just wanted the card)

Besides the required (nav and deep) we did peak buoyancy, search and recovery, and night.

PPB was nothing more than re-hashing the fin pivots and swimming through hoops held at various levels using breath control to change depth (within about a 10 ft. zone) I'm now in a dry suit, and it's a whole new ball game.

S&R was practing using a lift bag, then recovering an item one of the DM's "lost", and then the item we "lost".

Night was just a night dive in the quarry. Actually that was enjoyable.

Like others have said, you might not have as free a choice as you think. Even if the shop offers a long list, particular instructor on particular time might not. Or you might have to negotiate with the participants. Nearly all the courses I have seen locally have had night dive as compulsory - just because courses run Sat-Sun, and they push 3 dives for Sat, night dive being the third.

That being said, if you have never done a night dive, it is a good one to choose for one. There are several things that are nice to do with instructor/group on first go, and I found planned night dives in a group more relaxing in the beginning (more visual reference with more lights).

If the instructor actually will teach lift bags and expand on navigating/searching in Search and Recovery, I would pick that too. I found it useful because there was nothing else on our menu that remotely gave an idea about using lift devices/SMB:s (why don't they offer SMB/safety sausage/signaling specialty at AOW level, way useful would that be).

I would say Buoyancy too but I've heard too many accounts when that is reduced to fooling around zooming through hoops with no actual training that I really can't wholeheartedly vote for that.

PPB was nothing more than re-hashing the fin pivots and swimming through hoops held at various levels using breath control to change depth (within about a 10 ft. zone) I'm now in a dry suit, and it's a whole new ball game.

S&R was practing using a lift bag, then recovering an item one of the DM's "lost", and then the item we "lost".

If so, then you should report this to PADI (I assume) for failing to meet course standards.

Hi,

I'm planning on take my Advanced Open Water course this weekend. Are there any recommendations on which adventure dives to take besides the two mandatory Deeper Water Diving and Underwater Navigation?

Thanks,
R

My top pick aside from Deep Water and U/W Navigation would be:
1. Peak Performance Buoyancy (a definite must)
2. Drift Diving
3. Night Dive

If so, then you should report this to PADI (I assume) for failing to meet course standards.

His class sounded exactly like mine (pretty much identical)....what are the course standards and what do you do differently in your class?

I was disappointed that the majority of our PPB class was spent on our knees, waiting for each diver's turn to swim through the hoops (one time each).

Oh, and our S&R included finding one lost weight belt....not two items. So mine apparently was even more sub-standard.

I'm an outlier, as usual, and would suggest DPV. I would follow-up with the 2nd dive to garner the specialty. This has been one of the most fun and gratifying activities I have pursued. The specialty card has been required for some DPV rental. I've had a wonderful time on the DiveTech DPV dive between Cobalt and Lighthouse Point and doing DPV dives with Cayman 6 Pack on Grand Cayman. Enjoy your AOW training.

Good diving, Craig

Deep and Nav are given.

I like Search and Recovery because it's useful and the search patterns help prepare you for the Rescue class.

Wreck is good because there are a ton of wrecks out there, they are great sites and everybody ends up diving wrecks sooner or later.

Night is great for two reasons. It helps prepare you for some incredible night diving and it is a huge confidence builder.

Good luck with your class and keep learning! If you have interest beyond the 5 dives in your AOW or want to learn more about those 5, don't hesitate to sign up for the specialties...

His class sounded exactly like mine (pretty much identical)....what are the course standards and what do you do differently in your class?

I was disappointed that the majority of our PPB class was spent on our knees, waiting for each diver's turn to swim through the hoops (one time each).

OK, I do go beyond the actual standards because I do a pool dive in addition to the OW dive. Here is the minimum that is required for the PPB OW dive:

1. You are supposed to work on proper weighting and especially the proper distribution of weight to achieve good trim.

2. You are supposed to work on proper visualization and breathing patterns to affect buoyancy and graceful movement.

3. Make a controlled descent using the BCD inflator to maintain buoyancy and reach neutral buoyancy.

4. Hover motionless for at least one minute.

5. Swim horizontally with proper trim and without disturbing the bottom. (This can be a giveaway, but the way I do it requires the diver to stay very close to the bottom (nothing fragile) without disturbing it. This really requires good trim and kicking technique.

6. Make depth adjustments using breath control. This, too, can be a giveaway for some instructors, but I make it a focus. I make the divers descend into an area using only breath, hold their positions with trim, and then ascend back to the starting point.

7. Demonstrate efficient fin kicks. (This can be a course in itself.)

8. Navigate an obstacle course without touching obstacles. (That would probably be your hoops.)

9. Adjust weights (trim) and practice hovering in different positions--vertical, horizontal, feet elevated, and head elevated.​

Oh, and our S&R included finding one lost weight belt....not two items. So mine apparently was even more sub-standard.

For search and recovery, you are supposed to learn a variety of search techniques, some of which use a compass. It thus becomes an extension and practice of the navigation dive. You do need to do two searches, one of an area about 2,500 square feet and the second of an area about 10,000 square feet. You should use two different search methods. You have to demonstrate tying three knots while underwater (bowline, two half hitches, and sheet bend). You have to lift an object of no more than 25 pounds negatively buoyant.

Back
Top Bottom