Recommendations on which AOW adventure dives to take

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But aren't the other dives (cave, wreck, night, etc...) designed to give people an introduction to help them decide if they'd be interested in pursuing those kinds of things further? I thought the point of PPB was to improve overall diving skill. Again, I'm brand new so I'm just trying to understand this.

You are right about that in the terms of your response--I was just pointing out that the rules are technically the same for all of them.

Just did mine this past weekend; we did deep, drift, nav, wreck & night. The night dive was a lot of fun as it was my 4th time diving that particular wreck but was a completely different dive at night. The nav dive ended being a little stressful as a couple of divers in our group has some serious buoyancy issues and created a large silt bomb which brought the vis to near zero for a while (I also discovered I need corrective lenses in my mask for reading those little numbers in the bezel - the joys of being an old geezer)

Interestingly my instructor (who also owns the school) suggested I hold onto my money & just dive more (using the buoyancy concepts outlined in the manual) rather than taking the separate Peak Buoyancy course.

Rather than paying for expensive lenses in your mask, I have seen at sefveral LDSs magnifier inserts you can put at the bottom of your mask to make them like bifocals. I have no idea whether or not they work, but you might try them before investing in the lenses.

I have no idea whether or not they work, but you might try them before investing in the lenses.

Works for me. I followed the advice of my eye doctor and put in one only; low and left. That's where the gas gauge is.

There appears to be a similar product in some of the safety glasses catalogs that cost less. I have not tried those.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom