REEF founder Paul Humann has passed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I never got to meet him personally, I’ve been using the 1st & 2nd editions of his fish ID books (Florida & Caribbean Reefs) for over 30 years and regard them as near Biblical in their accuracy and information. RIP, Mr Humann, you touched us all!

Charlie 🐸 Shaeff

I don't think you can truly appreciate the quality of his work without seeing some of the competition. When I was diving in the Galapagos, the boat's skipper showed us a reef fish book published by someone else. The best pictures were OK, but only OK. Many were absolutely useless. I tried some fish photography for a while and then realized I was best suited for the absolutely useless variety. His work was consistently excellent.

I went back and found a clip of Paul in a video I took of him in the Galapagos in 1993. Kinda grainy but it was 30 years ago on Hi8 tape. :cool:

Kn63f8.jpg

sEG65X.jpg

jvAzaq.jpg

One more of Paul.

VN5vTL.jpg

I don't think you can truly appreciate the quality of his work without seeing some of the competition. When I was diving in the Galapagos, the boat's skipper showed us a reef fish book published by someone else. The best pictures were OK, but only OK. Many were absolutely useless. I tried some fish photography for a while and then realized I was best suited for the absolutely useless variety. His work was consistently excellent.

Amen brother, you’ve got a witness! And when you consider all that work was done on film! I would shoot a roll on one of my Nikonos cameras and if I got two or three recognizable fish it was a good roll! There have been very few worthy to carry Paul Humann’s camera bag!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom