Reef sticks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is better to use your finger on bare rock to gently nudge yourself away as opposed to kicking. I don't know how many times I have seen sponges killed after someone kicked away from the reef in a panic when a little nudge would have done the trick.

I'll bite...if you can properly handle yourself in the water, you can back yourself up without damaging anything.

Tom

You could use a SS rod and it would work fine. Most of the divers I've seen using this type of instrument were photographers (read that as experienced divers) using them on sand portions in front of the reef when there was a high current and where they were taking photo shots. They generally were not used at times photos were not being shot

Their general use is an attempt to use less energy in high current, mainly as a way of stabilizing in one spot.

The use of a stick is one option while you learn buoyancy and trim, but it is not generally recommended by most scuba agencies or friendly reef groups. Most agencies recommend you stay far enough away from the reef that accidents don't happen at any time and I happen to agree with them. Stay far enough away that you won't have any accidents and work on buoyancy, trim and even finning skills. Soon, you'll be right in there checking things out without thinking, or worrying that you would be tossed into the reef.

If you are still bent on trying the stick method, I want to offer an alternative to the SS rod...

Lobster Tickle Stick in Fiberglass. You can pickup a 36" rod for about $3.00 from your local dive shop. Given your experience level, I suggest cutting it in 1/2 (18") rather than the 12" most sticks are cut to. This will allow you a chance to try one at a cost effective rate and also allow additional space between you and the reef that will maintain some protection for the area in case you "get close".

If you choose to use one, I recommend you don't advertise that you have it when you are diving from a commercial dive boat on a reef with people you don't know. It will save you time trying to justify it to some who wouldn't listen anyway.

I hope that helps you make an informed decision moving forward :wink:

Thanks for the patience and informative responses. No stick for me. Will just work on buoyancy, trim and finning more (over sand).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom