Reg Hard Breathe Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShallowDiverDave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Today, on my 1st and 2nd dives EVER, I was using my instructor's gear. It seemed like the reg was breathing hard at the surface, and not so much underwater. What might be the cause of this, or is this normal, and why?

thanks!

JahJahwarrior:
I think as long as it breathes well underwater, you are ok :)

How was it other than that??

Oh, it was absolutely awesome of course! :D

Sometimes mine is a bit raspy @ the surface, but completly fine at depth. I have been told by many that this is completely normal......

I have also noticed that some regs such as atomics are also slightly harder to breath at or very near the surface. This actually helps to keep them freeflowing at the surface. This is absolutely normal and they breath great at depth.

~Jess

My friend, for example, has a reg that whistles underwater. I can always tell he's not OOA becuse of it, so I'm happy :) Lord knows when he last had it serviced, so I also always make sure I've grabbed the right equipment. :wink:

If you are still in Florida Oct 27-29, lots of Scubabooarders are getting together at Ginnie Springs. If you help with a reiver cleanup dive on the 28th, you dive for free too!

thanks jah jah, can't make that one, but let me know next time...

Mine ALWAYS breathe hard on the surface---something dealing with the ambient pressure? Once I get in the water though, they breathe like butter.

rocketry:
Once I get in the water though, they breathe like butter.

Hm. I could go so many ways with this one.

--So, the butter is like, to keep the reg greased, right? Should I store the reg in the fridge with the butter, or clean it with the butter, or put a chunk in before diving? What's the best way to butter my reg?

--I wish I had known you could breathe with butter. I wouldn't have wasted on this money on a reg if I knew that I butter turns water into air. Might be slipper though...

--Good thing I'm not married, otherwise every few years my wife might butter me up to get her a new reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom