Reg recommendation for doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking to get into tec-diving and will soon be needing a regulator for my doubles. I plan on doing Great Lakes and Ice diving so I am looking for a sealed diaphragm. My favorite LDS is a scubapro dealer that recommends MK-17 GS 260 for my purposes. I understand from previous posts here that scubapro has a reputation for making exceptional piston regs but their sealed diaphragm regulators are not bad though the company specializes on pistons.

I also have the option of going for Hog regulators. Hog does not make pistons so all their effort has gone into their flagship diaphragm. On these forums, most HOG users are satisfied users. Yet there are some complaints against HOG regulators that indicate that at least when they began, quality control was not as stringent as it is with other companies. They turned out lemons more frequently than other brands so there were users who raved about how good Hogs were. Then some of the complaints also showed up here with corroded internals. Other users that I knew personally informed that parts were loose and falling off.

Just wanted to ask the tec-diving community which regulator would they recommend out of the two for technical depths and cold waters. Bear in mind that SP is more than twice the price of Hog. Part of me says it is only once in a lifetime investment so I should get SP. Service intervals are also longer. Other part of me says, dissatisfied users are a minority with HOG and so many in the tec-diving community would not be using Hogs if the problems with their engineering were universal.

Id love to get recommendations. Id love to hear from anyone but would particularly be interested in hearing from those who have used these in deeper depths.

Thanks –

Scubapro makes some really solid regs as you are well aware, and they are so proud of their product that they reflect it in the price. Actually, its not fair to bitch about the price when they are right on par with the price of Apeks, Aqualung, Atomic etc....

Hog regs are very functional and are great breathers. I had some issues with the earlier such as leaks and touchy IP's, but after I personally rebuilt them, there were no issues to speak of. I never had any corrosion issues. Im not sure what the quality of the more recent production models is like, but judging by the reviews and feedback from this board, they are on point.

I have used ScubaPro, Hog, Apeks and aqualung regs as deep as 300fsw and beyond with no issues to speak of. In my opinion they all breath about the same....its all in how you tune them anyway.

If I were to go out and buy a brand new set of doubles regs right now, I would buy Hog D1 cold regs. They are simple, robust, great breathing regs that have a realistic price point.

There's lots out there that will work for you. For almost all my dives 33f+ and ice diving, I've used Apeks, AL Titans, diverite's, HOG's and SP's. Just pick one that fits your budget and ability to get serviced. No issues with any of my regs, keep serviced and they'll be fine. They've all been sealed firsts and used around 200' no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple of questions?

You currently dive an XTX-50. Is there some reason you wouldn't consider a better Apeks model also? I don't know their line well enough to know the optimal choice but being mfr'd. in the UK - I'd guess they've learned a thing or two about building cold water regs. in the past 50 years or so.

Here's a point to consider. Dealer coverage. Unless you plan to take the class/service the Hogs yourself.

Both have dealer locators on their websites. So do some searches near the major cities/lakes you plan to dive.

Both seem to have a strong dealer presence around Toronto. But Hog's pales in comparison to Scubapro's once you move farther west. (try Chicago or Milwaukee for ex.)
In fact, one of 6 dealers specified within 300mi. of Detroit is your dealer in Woodbridge, VA. I can't see that being real useful if you have a reg problem on a trip.

Of course you can just rent if yours fails but what was the point of buying one in the first place if that's a solution.

my .02

A couple of questions?

You currently dive an XTX-50. Is there some reason you wouldn't consider a better Apeks model also? I don't know their line well enough to know the optimal choice but being mfr'd. in the UK - I'd guess they've learned a thing or two about building cold water regs. in the past 50 years or so.

Here's a point to consider. Dealer coverage. Unless you plan to take the class/service the Hogs yourself.

Both have dealer locators on their websites. So do some searches near the major cities/lakes you plan to dive.

Both seem to have a strong dealer presence around Toronto. But Hog's pales in comparison to Scubapro's once you move farther west. (try Chicago or Milwaukee for ex.)
In fact, one of 6 dealers specified within 300mi. of Detroit is your dealer in Woodbridge, VA. I can't see that being real useful if you have a reg problem on a trip.

Of course you can just rent if yours fails but what was the point of buying one in the first place if that's a solution.

my .02

Thanks. I have an Apeks XTX-50 which is my preferred regulator for single tank yoke. It falls in the same price range is Scubapro. Since the shop I am with sells Scubapro I would like to go with that. My understanding is that HOG is a great reg for people who want to fiddle with their reg but someone who wants a reliable reg that would come back from the store serviced and never need attention, apeks and scubapros make more sense.

Only if the store has techs that know what they are doing. Plenty of stories on here about those that don't. HOG is also for people who don't want to be tied in to a service interval set by someone else. We recommend a rebuild at two years. Annual inspection at one. Miss either of those, no problem. It will still only cost you about 125 plus return shipping, with me anyway, for a full rebuild.

Get another DIN XTX 50 and change the old one to DIN so you can use the old APEX yoke fitting, if ever necessary, for single tank diving. Get them all serviced at the same place, wherever that may be.

Get into tech diving and you're going to end up working on, or adjusting all your gear anyways. Go with the company that encourages you to learn to work on your own gear. Get the HOG regs

Only if the store has techs that know what they are doing. Plenty of stories on here about those that don't. HOG is also for people who don't want to be tied in to a service interval set by someone else. We recommend a rebuild at two years. Annual inspection at one. Miss either of those, no problem. It will still only cost you about 125 plus return shipping, with me anyway, for a full rebuild.

I think if you don't care about the so call "part for life" program, then you are not tied to any service interval with any brands. I think HOG is good brand and have very decent quality stuff. I have been using HOG, Atomic and Scubapro, while I may not be able to tell the breathing quality, but there is definitely noticeably difference in workmanship and build quality, Atomic and Scubapro being better. HOG is still good especially for the cost, and I have to say it is also one level above Oceanic/Hollis/Aeris as well

Only if the store has techs that know what they are doing. Plenty of stories on here about those that don't.
Objectively you could make the same claim about Hog (or any other brand) techs. Except the pool is far smaller with Hog so "plenty" probably hasn't happened yet - Scubapro has had 40-50 years to develop theirs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom