Reg recommendation for doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fwiw...whatever regs you choose, for doubles, bottom ports are your friends.

This!

Have a look at the Apeks Tec3 dual cylinder regulators. They are absolutely amazing.
All the ports point in the same direction and the two first stages are completely symmetrical.
The breath extremely well and is completely sealed against cold water.

The tec3s look like something that came of a hot rod. Very cool...

I'm gonna have to argue with you on that one. The hoses route like crap on the Tek3. They put a lot of stress on the hoses, right at the crimp, which leads to premature hose death. IMO the best option is a regulator with a swivel turret and a bottom port on it (HOG D1/D3, Apeks DST(XTX50), etc).

If you are limiting your choices to either Scubapro or HOG, my recommendation would be the HOG, if for no other reason than the improved hose routing out the bottom of the regs. I own a set of HOG regs (D1s) that haven't caused me any trouble, and I got them second-hand from a working divemaster here in Hawaii who only sold them when he couldn't resist the urge to buy a pretty Aqualung Legend set. I only recently re-built the first stage, not because it needed it, but because I was bored one night (I work nights). That was over four years of heavy use without a hiccup from the set. I will admit that I'm not overly fond of the D1 second stages, but part of that is just me being picky and not any problem I've had with them.

Full disclosure, while I still own and use the HOG set on a single tank, I use an Apeks DST/XTX50 set on my doubles. I somehow managed to sneak that past the wife... I started out with the Apeks when I started diving because I had just sold my motorcycle and had some money to burn. When I moved to doubles (around dive 30), I used the HOG first stage to complete the setup out of necessity because I couldn't afford another Apeks first stage! Once I scratched up the dough I scratched the OCD itch and got another Apeks DST and completed the set. Both DSTs were upgraded with the 5th port of course.

I'm gonna have to argue with you on that one. The hoses route like crap on the Tek3.

If you keep them horizontal with all the ports point at the floor they work well...
The only hoses with a slight bend will be the LP wing hose that runs from the right shoulder post down the left shoulder corrugated inflator hose and the left shoulder post 2nd stage hose that runs from left behind the neck to the right. If you use the correct hose lengths you will have absolutely no stress on any hoses. We use the Tek3s and our team and the kit is very slick...

keep in mind too, the SP MK-17/G250V (SP replaced the second with the G260) is still available under the "Blue H" line too....

I have both MK-17's and DI-Colds. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend either, but I'm also not the guy buying anything new.....

I am with Evad on this one. His suggestion is simple and clean.

Get another DIN XTX 50 and change the old one to DIN so you can use the old APEX yoke fitting, if ever necessary, for single tank diving. Get them all serviced at the same place, wherever that may be.

Back
Top Bottom