Regretting Instructor Training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not an instructor because my other job (computers) has grown faster than my scuba job. I started 50/50 but 2 years ago it became 80/20 (computers/scuba) and last year it became (100/0). I still think some day I will continue on my professional path and become an instructor but this is because I love scuba and I love teaching. I was a computer teacher and loved that. However, I have seen a lot of people think becoming a scuba instructor (or even DM) is glamorous or they see all the pros and none of the cons. I don't know anyone from my Rescue or DM class who are still working in the industry. Most didn't make it past one year. Seeing all these other people becoming disillusioned makes me sad. I wouldn't want to see others make the same mistake I have seen others make.

Maybe you are like me or like people I see on here who are making a living from scuba (NWGratefulDiver, Devon, Doppler, boulderjohn, TSandM, etc.) and you will love being a professional. However, there are a lot of down sides to doing this for a living. For someone like me, I'm fine with it. When I have a kid who takes to water like a fish in my DSD class, he is doing regulator recovery demonstration quality, that is a great moment for me. However, this is rare. More often I have the 50 year old who saw a GroupOn and figured it would be a good thing to put on his bucket list. He has some hang ups about water but insists he is 'fine'. He is too macho to admit he needs help. He spends the entire DSD holding his mask on with his hand because he doesn't trust the strap will hold it in place. I see him as a challenge. How do I get him comfortable in the water?

What about the dad who is clowning around in the pool and tries turning off his wife's air during a DSD class? I have to impress upon him that just because it is his wife he cannot do that. I don't want to lose him as a potential customer but I cannot let him get away with stuff like this. Learning how to deal with him is one challenge. Or figuring out when enough is enough and saying we sometimes just don't need customers like him.

It may sound callous, but I don't feel bad when someone gets disillusioned as a dive pro. I remember what the DM did when I took OW. It seemed to me, as a retired teacher, that this may be something I'd like to do. That turned out to be true. To make a living at it--well-- As a 19 year old clarinet performance major I realized that unless I wanted to practise 12 hours a day for 10 years, wash dishes and pray for a break, teaching music with a solid salary may be the way to go. And I was a dopey 19 year old. And I didn't have Scubaboard or the internet to research a career in music or diving.

I don' know any active/current instructors who regret their IDC. Taking the instructor course in itself does not necessarily make you good at the job though - it takes a lot of hard experience, work and time for that. Those with the passion AND work ethic for teaching diving can stick with it and enjoy it, those who are lacking in one of those areas less so.

What would be interesting to know is how many instructors who are NOT active/current regret taking the course. Not likely to find that out on a scuba related forum like this though...Cant remember what the stats are off the top of my head, but I recall a course director telling me a few years ago that only a very small number of instructors actually continue to teach long term. From what he said, its only about 30% of instructors who are still active and renewed in the 3rd year after their IDC (not sure exactly how accurate that is though). Maybe its the other 70% (or whatever the figure is) that can answer the OP's question?

I'm sure a few 'gap-year' kids regret paying out for the IDC rather than spend it on more beer and skittles... but they are often never heard from again and I doubt many, if any, are active on Scubaboard. Every so often I read a horror story on Facebook's DIVE JOBS WORLDWIDE. These often have to do with actual job placements where the reality is not quite up to what was advertised.

I certainly have entered (and left) jobs in areas where I disliked the general 'standard' of training eg. Koh Tao. I paid a lot of money to get there- money that was ultimately wasted as I left again before I could recoup my losses.

I don't think anyone really regrets the training that they receive to be certified as an instructor. They may regret paying all that money for it though.

I'm not an instructor but have a similar scenario with my DM training.

I went through all of my divemaster training and then started to add up the cost and the benefits and decided to not get it signed off on. Between the cost of the insurance and the agency membership I would have come out negative big time and only had an extra c- card to show for it. I do not recommend becoming a dive master unless you have some money to burn and live near the coast where you can actually make a bit of money on a charter or something similar.

I liked the work but I cannot afford to be a professional diver.

For me, it is as stated above: I don't regret recieving all the training, the only downside is the cost. I was very well aware of it before I began my IDC - but you often have to spend money to make money. However, I do not plan on living of being an instructor. I have a fulltime job, and I will gather experience as an instructor before I eventually travel somewhere for a limited period of time.

after diving for a long, long time and lots of dive experience I decided to take the plunge to instructor. Why? Well here are my reasons.

1) I am a professional trainer in the homeland security and public safety world. I teach a lot of dangerous stuff, have lots of responsibility and deal with first responder. I love diving so why not teach what I love?
2) Many people I dive with have asked me for classes assuming that I'm an instructor due to my dive experience and natural leadership skillset.
3) Here in Florida I have seen FAR TOO MANY really bad instructors. I know I can do better.
4) I have also seen FAR TOO MANY unsafe instructors. Safety first!
5) maybe I can make a few bucks to pay for dive gear?
6) I'm 56...so why the hell not! bucket list item checked.
7) Dealing with people is easy. In my real life I take care of people on the worst day of their lives. Diving is fun.

In the long term picture, the cost of the IDC to become an instructor is nothing compared to the cost of forsaking the earning potential of other jobs to work as an instructor.

I spent almost 20 years working my way up the ladder of the scuba business and I am doing ok. But if I had spent that 20 years working that hard in the petroleum industry or aviation industry or medical industry, I would be light years beyond where I am now financially. I'd be a member of the local country clubs and drive a very nice car. In 20 years, a person can become a talented, experienced cardiac surgeon or a highly placed partner in an upscale law firm.

Giving up a few thousand dollars to become an instructor is a tiny fraction of what you will give up by working as an instructor over the years.

Still, I have got to see and experience amazing things in the ocean that other people only watch on TV. Working on the water has given me special insights into the sea (and the world) and I will never have any regrets for the choices I've made.

after diving for a long, long time and lots of dive experience I decided to take the plunge to instructor. Why? Well here are my reasons.

1) I am a professional trainer in the homeland security and public safety world. I teach a lot of dangerous stuff, have lots of responsibility and deal with first responder. I love diving so why not teach what I love?
2) Many people I dive with have asked me for classes assuming that I'm an instructor due to my dive experience and natural leadership skillset.
3) Here in Florida I have seen FAR TOO MANY really bad instructors. I know I can do better.
4) I have also seen FAR TOO MANY unsafe instructors. Safety first!
5) maybe I can make a few bucks to pay for dive gear?
6) I'm 56...so why the hell not! bucket list item checked.
7) Dealing with people is easy. In my real life I take care of people on the worst day of their lives. Diving is fun.

Almost sound like me. I am approaching early retirement and thinking of a stint in the tropics teaching. Why the hell not?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom