Regulator Frustrations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In an industry that generally doesn't support even minor adjusting of regulators by owners, it makes minor issues big problems...

in regard to the tank valve sealing issue, what does the mating surface of the first stage look like? I remember having to have various thickness o-rings on hand to swap out. Or, having to swap tanks with someone. None of that was considered a big issue...

what does the mating surface of the first stage look like?
Again, the following is not specific to any brand.

Yes, check what @rhwestfall suggest first. If no joy, it is possible the yoke itself has an alignment issue. Was it ever dropped or banged about in a way that may have distorted it? Either way, a new yoke/yoke retainer should solve the regulator to tank sealing problem.

I'm Looking forward to the findings-please keep us posted.

in regard to the tank valve sealing issue, what does the mating surface of the first stage look like? I remember having to have various thickness o-rings on hand to swap out. Or, having to swap tanks with someone. None of that was considered a big issue...

Excellent point. I had forgotten that my first tanks came with garbage valves with an oversized o-ring slot. O-rings constantly fell out and leaked to the point I bought new valves. I suppose the inverse is also possible.

Are we talking creep or drift? Creep is an ongoing increase, that if left unremedied, would either cause a venting release at the second stage that continues to increase violently, or if it didn't release, cause catastrophic destruction (burst hoses, failed fittings and possibly explosion/projectiles) as pressure exceeds design of devices. Drift is a higher point of IP but still a lock-up. The issue becomes that if the second stage is tuned to the edge (and we all want a perfect breather), even a "normally accepted amount of drift" may cause the second stage to vent, but no dangerous pressures are attained.

NONE of this is specific to Deep6.....

Many times shops tune regulators away from peak performance because things will change as the seats settle in, and that can result in a return trip to the shop, and an unhappy consumer.

Now for my opinion:

The folks dealing Deep6, despite providing full service options, I feel generally follow a model of the owner having "basic understanding" and "ability to self address" minor situations. Your regs are likely at or near there best possible setting for performance. It can and will change, and they haven't set it with conservatism in mind.

Maybe that is a flaw....
The IP increased consistently until the second stages free flowed. It would eventually reach and "equilibrium" of a steady but not increasing flow from the second stage. Using a pressure gauge attached to an LP inflator hose, the IP maxes out the gauge at >200psi. I suppose it's possible that it drifted up, rather than creeping. However, a drift of >60psi in 25 dives is still concerning, right?
I double checked the mating face and didn't see any gouges or scratches. I did change the o-ring on the valve and the issue persists. Interestingly, other regulators seal just fine on the valve.

I'm Looking forward to the findings-please keep us posted.
Landon (from Deep6) was super helpful and had me send both regs in for them to look over. I just got an email that they've been shipped back to me. I'll let you know what they've found once I receive the regulators!

The IP increased consistently until the second stages free flowed. It would eventually reach and "equilibrium" of a steady but not increasing flow from the second stage. Using a pressure gauge attached to an LP inflator hose, the IP maxes out the gauge at >200psi. I suppose it's possible that it drifted up, rather than creeping. However, a drift of >60psi in 25 dives is still concerning, right?

I double checked the mating face and didn't see any gouges or scratches. I did change the o-ring on the valve and the issue persists. Interestingly, other regulators seal just fine on the valve.

Landon (from Deep6) was super helpful and had me send both regs in for them to look over. I just got an email that they've been shipped back to me. I'll let you know what they've found once I receive the regulators!

It does suck what you're going through. I own 5 sets of Deep6 and they've all worked pretty flawless. The very minor hiccups that I've had were remedied right away even after diving them for a bit. 2 issues were my own fault and they still stood behind their product and supported me being an idiot and helped fix my mistake anyway.

I'm just not sure another company would have done the same thing?... You're in good hands.

Care to share so we don't have the same "happy little accidents?"

Dumb really.. but I'm happy to lay on the sword, lol. Both have been posted on here somewhere.

1.) Could not get a 1st stage to seal proper... rebuilt it to no avail.. would leak when opening the valve. I was pulling my hair out when Deep 6 said send it in (I only sent them an email after I was at my wits end). Turns out I had the wrong size o ring on one of the HP plugs:(. I would turn the tank on and could get it to hiss from the 1st stage, but if turned on all the way it would "pop" and seal. 100% on me but they took care of it and said "we've all been there" (which I'm sure was to make me feel better!).

2.) I was adjusting 2 2nd stages and I'm not sure what I was thinking but I tuned both with pressure still on the seat. Both 2nds had a very slight leak after that and it wasn't until it was pointed out to me that you're not supposed to do that.. woops. Yup... also 100% on me. I think this one is worse than the other as it say in the manual in BOLD letters not to do that..... but I obviously didn't retain that part. I thought "I took the class, I got this...". Deep 6 was gracious enough to send me 2 rebuild kits and again the words "we've all been there"...

There's some that point you in the right direction and make it more about diving than profit. Deep 6 is one of them.

Dumb really.. but I'm happy to lay on the sword, lol. Both have been posted on here somewhere.

1.) Could not get a 1st stage to seal proper... rebuilt it to no avail.. would leak when opening the valve. I was pulling my hair out when Deep 6 said send it in (I only sent them an email after I was at my wits end). Turns out I had the wrong size o ring on one of the HP plugs:(. I would turn the tank on and could get it to hiss from the 1st stage, but if turned on all the way it would "pop" and seal. 100% on me but they took care of it and said "we've all been there" (which I'm sure was to make me feel better!).

2.) I was adjusting 2 2nd stages and I'm not sure what I was thinking but I tuned both with pressure still on the seat. Both 2nds had a very slight leak after that and it wasn't until it was pointed out to me that you're not supposed to do that.. woops. Yup... also 100% on me. I think this one is worse than the other as it say in the manual in BOLD letters not to do that..... but I obviously didn't retain that part. I thought "I took the class, I got this...". Deep 6 was gracious enough to send me 2 rebuild kits and again the words "we've all been there"...

There's some that point you in the right direction and make it more about diving than profit. Deep 6 is one of them.
That's why I put it in there in bold.

That's why I put it in there in bold.

Oh I know:D

Capture.JPG

Reactions: Zef
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom