Regulator Frustrations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you turn the orifice adjustment knob of the in-line tool inward against the seat with the regulator pressurized, you risk cutting the poppet soft seat on the knife edge...

Breath or purge the regulator while turning the adjustment on the inline tool. I didn't do it and I must have cut into the seat. Small leak on every dive... more of an annoyance than anything.

I'm Looking forward to the findings-please keep us posted.

Unpacked the regulators, they serviced all four second stages and both first stages. They also replaced the balanced chambers in the first stages. We'll get them wet soon (hopefully) and confirm, but hopefully we've got lots of issue free dives coming up!

Thanks to Landon and the folks at Deep6 for the great customer service and quick turn around, and to all of you for the good advice.

Ok since I am a total rookie at this but how do you adjust the second stage without the air on???
I thought you use a second stage adjusting tool inline with the hose and IP gauge connected to the second stage...You adjust the orifice with the round knob on the tool....how do you do this with the air off?? What am I misunderstanding??
If you use an inline adjusting tool, you absolutely do the final adjustment with the air on. It's fine, you won't damage the seat doing so. Keep in mind that the air pressure is trying to separate the seat from the orifice, so turning the orifice while pressurized is much less destructive than turning it while it is unpressurized. That's why you depress the purge while turning the orifice if doing so without the inline tool.

There is a case where you could do some damage using the inline tool; if the orifice is too 'tight', i.e. the cracking effort is way too high, also meaning the lever (on most designs) is way too low, and you then use the knob on the inline tool to 'loosen' the orifice while it's pressurized. The thing to do is to depress the purge, (unpressurized) adjust the orifice 'out' until there is a slight leak, then you can pressurize and use the inline tool to carefully adjust the leak out. In that scenario there is very light contact between the seat and orifice and you won't cut it.

Unpacked the regulators, they serviced all four second stages and both first stages. They also replaced the balanced chambers in the first stages. We'll get them wet soon (hopefully) and confirm, but hopefully we've got lots of issue free dives coming up!

Thanks to Landon and the folks at Deep6 for the great customer service and quick turn around, and to all of you for the good advice.
Glad they are taking care of you. I just wanted to chime in and say that any significant IP creep is unacceptable for a reg with such little use and apparent good care. Same thing for the yoke issue; that one means the reg needs a new yoke, no question. Yoke fittings are used every day, thousands and thousands of times, and have been for decades. There is nothing inherently weak or flawed about them. People on this forum tend to think DIN fittings are far superior, and in some ways they are better, but if the issue you're having was 'normal' for a yoke design, nobody would every use them. So make sure that deep6 fixes that as well. If you are a recreational diver using yoke tanks, then use a yoke reg. This is so simple and it's occasionally frustrating to read all the 'anti-yoke' comments.

Ok, off my soapbox.

@halocline 's comments above remind me to ask what the folks at Deep6 found re the yoke/tank interface? Perhaps @LandonL will update too.

Cheers,

couv

@halocline 's comments above remind me to ask what the folks at Deep6 found re the yoke/tank interface? Perhaps @LandonL will update too.
I had asked them to change the regs over to DIN fittings based on the recommendations in this thread. As a result, I'm not sure if they tried to dig into the yoke fitting issues or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom