Regulator Necklace as it relates to Sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...Takes next to no time at all.
As I said above: Exactly!

If you do bubble checks on recreational 'after work' dives your are much more disciplined than most are here, next nobody 'non-tec' even knows what that is (metaphorically). I do not really believe that people are more disciplined internationally though, I got the impression it's more or less the other way around, Germans are known to be sticklers for rules and that is one prejudice that is not that far of the mark.

I try to do them on my own, but on a dive where I ignore my SPGs on purpose and have a small leek at the SPG-hose I am out of luck.

As I said above: Exactly!

If you do bubble checks on recreational 'after work' dives your are much more disciplined than most are here

I do them on EVERY dive, no matter the time of day, the planned depth it duration... Kit can go wrong on any dive, the bubble check is an important tool in the box for avoiding the incident pit!

To suggest you don't bother in after work dives is to suggest a lazy approach to your dives when time constrained...

That attitude is cavalier at best and as has already been suggested, is born only from laziness! Certainly not a quality I respect in a diver and definitely one I would look to avoid in a potential buddy!

You are entitled to choose how you dive and what checks you make (or don't) but to suggest that's correct and normal and to try and defend the indefensible Is just pig headed.

These forums are for people to learn from being exposed to wider and/or greater knowledge than their own, I've certainly learnt a lot from the various forums I frequent. You however, always seem to voice your opinion as the only way and when corrected with hard fact and/or logical responses, you don't seem to learn, but rather continue to defend your often poorly formed opinion.... If you're not here to learn too, why are you here?

The bubble check is a 30 second check, easily done and if you're buddies don't know about it because of a more junior recreational experience, educate them, teach them this valuable skill, build their experience and increase their knowledge and ultimately safety. Don't be lazy and use them as an excuse for not bothering....

I do them on EVERY dive, no matter the time of day, the planned depth it duration... Kit can go wrong on any dive, the bubble check is an important tool in the box for avoiding the incident pit!
Yes. I do them on every dive to, but mostly I am alone in that and if I am unable to see something myself, well, I told what can happen then.

To suggest you don't bother in after work dives is to suggest a lazy approach to your dives when time constrained...
I do not suggest anything. I just live with reality as I am facing it.
And from my limited experience there divers are the same everywhere.
Big talk, sloppy practice in reality, on any dive they do not consider a special challenge.

I told of the exceptional buddy above. She did everything by the book, every time.
She was even doing formal safety stops after a shallow half-hour 5 Meter practice dive.
She was diving with her late husband's computer until it's batteries would run out after a year, so everyone considered her suicidal perhaps, but I was the only one at that diving side to do more than one dive with her.

It does not pay to be a stickler for rules here, except when those rules are kept by everyone anyway.

Buddychecks? No (you can talk about it dozens of times during preparation, if you do not insist when entering the water it will be forgotten)

Bubble Checks? Hell what is that...
Technical divers excluded, but they in particular get 'lazy' when doing less challenging dives with a sidemount instant-buddy.

That attitude is cavalier at best and as has already been suggested, is born only from laziness!
Actually, I think laziness has nothing to do with it. I think it's more complacency and not thinking that diving poses risks at all or trying to ignore them as much as possible.

Certainly not a quality I respect in a diver
I respect anyone diving on principle. There are some I am careful about when diving with them, but I never give orders and always respect their own decisions. I am always sure to be able to rescue both of us if it comes to that, otherwise I do not dive.

I do not presume to be entitled to tell anyone what to do. I give advice once if I see something that bothers me, then I shut up (or at least only take the topic up again in debriefing (and debriefing is another thing I do not see practiced in reality often)).
I am often a pain for weeks regarding 'best practice' and loose a lot of buddy's over time because of that, but I do not give up on them easily and I do not abort any dives.

and definitely one I would look to avoid in a potential buddy!
I do not avoid any potential buddy. It is hard to find someone here who averages more than 50 dives a year, so I need five or more different diving-partners or groups at the same time anyway and that does not factor in their own vacations, illnesses, engagements and divorces.
Recently my buddys all tend to become sidemount instructors after a while and stop improving themselves seeming to think their meager skills are adequate too teach - those I will avoid in the future, but I only learned that recently.

You are entitled to choose how you dive and what checks you make (or don't) but to suggest that's correct and normal and to try and defend the indefensible Is just pig headed.
Again, I am not defending anything, I am just stating facts of diving life as I experience them.
I do not use swearwords to describe my diving partners, even if I do not respect every little thing they do or don't do, but I share the sentiment.

These forums are for people to learn from being exposed to wider and/or greater knowledge than their own, I've certainly learnt a lot from the various forums I frequent.
Same here, more or less everything I practice regarding sidemount I took from one forum or the other (only quietly reading at that time).
Formal education came later.

You however, always seem to voice your opinion as the only way and when corrected with hard fact and/or logical responses, you don't seem to learn, but rather continue to defend your often poorly formed opinion....
Well, my English is not that perfect.
I can always offer a lot of 'hard facts' to explain my opinion, but that is not much use, as facts are a perception issue on the internet in any language.

If you're not here to learn too, why are you here?
To share experiences mostly.
I do not think there is much to learn for me anymore before cave or other technical education (except practicing what I already know, of course).
That motivates me to continue collecting information on what others do differently, why and how.

The bubble check is a 30 second check, easily done and if you're buddies don't know about it because of a more junior recreational experience, educate them, teach them this valuable skill, build their experience and increase their knowledge and ultimately safety. Don't be lazy and use them as an excuse for not bothering....
I do not teach anyone, I just go diving.
I am also not endangered by others laziness, so I do not care what others do.
If people around me think they can live this sloppy practices I ignore that after remarking on it once or twice.
But I have to admit I get used to that being normal much to easy.

I think we'll be best just agreeing to disagree, many of your responses here have just gone to prove the points I was making. (in my opinion of course)

Consistency and continuity of standard DIR Protocol, Gear Configuration and Technique, the exact same training I've had for nearly eleven years.

[Sarcasm]So UTD has been teaching you to shut off one valve at a time on your backmointed doubles AND placed them under your arms? And that started 11 years ago? That's huge foresight to keep everything consistent.

Also, I'm going to have to revisit how I dive. Clearly my method of donating a long hose any time a buddy or other diver goes OOA is different from the way I used to do it when I was in back mount....despite the identical procedure.
[/sarcasm]

[Sarcasm]So UTD has been teaching you to shut off one valve at a time on your backmointed doubles AND placed them under your arms? And that started 11 years ago? That's huge foresight to keep everything consistent.

Also, I'm going to have to revisit how I dive. Clearly my method of donating a long hose any time a buddy or other diver goes OOA is different from the way I used to do it when I was in back mount....despite the identical procedure.
[/sarcasm]
Nope Vic . . .the point is I've never in eleven years of training and diving had to ever modify the basic fundamental Long Hose/necklaced Back-up Regulator configuration and Out-of-Gas Donation Technique of the DIR/Hogarth Paradigm, even in Sidemount, by virtue of UTD's Z-system. . . Period. The Long Hose Primary always stays in my mouth at operational bottom depth (i.e. No switching regulators as in classic independent sidemount). Turning on & off cylinders is simply a technique for balancing out the tanks & overall trim as you consume breathing gas.

No convoluted confusing set-ups & weird non-standard inconsistent machinations as described by all the other posts in this thread including yours Vic. . .

... never... had to ever modify the basic fundamental Long Hose/necklaced Back-up Regulator configuration ...
I really respect that reasoning, believe me.

It has been said in other threads here however that the exact details of the procedure on the z-system are significantly different from the backmount situation.
You must have modified your training at least a little bit to accommodate for that, haven't you?
I am sure the changes are irrelevant to you, but perhaps they are more important to others?

Yes. I do them on every dive to, but mostly I am alone in that and if I am unable to see something myself, well, I told what can happen then.

I am completely baffled that you can't see your regs, first stages and SPG in a sidemount configuration. Just pull the tank forward and look, or if your SPGs point down just pull them up to look at the swivel. ???? Or if your razor configuration is so tight, just unclip the freakin' camband from your waist and swing the tank out in front of you, then you can see first stage and SPG. Really this is elementary.

Being able to see and diagnose these pieces of gear easily yourself is one of the great safety points of sidemount, Z-system excluded as the switching block is behind you.

@shoredivr
I already wrote that I could have seen it myself but I misunderstood the symptoms.
It did not seem important as it sounded like a very small drysuit leak somewhere at the axle seams or neck I had experienced several times before, I only rolled my eyes and did not think to check for it on the regulators at all (it was much to 'soft' to suspect a regulator).

When bringing the SPGs forward the pressure between the SPG and hose by bending seems to have hidden it or I just did not see or feel it when looking, I don't know really.
I know I heard that irritating sound for a couple of dives and it stopped after initially seeing and fixing it poorly.
And on those dives I only brought them forward once when touching water and once when leaving it, so likely it did not leak then.

Anyway it was only a problem when it burst later, could have happened anytime, even without showing any warning signs before.
A serious bubble check from an outside viewpoint would have shown that I was searching for the source of the bubbles at the wrong spot and prevented the failure, however.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom