Regulator service: acceptable treatment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, contact me prior to replacing my hose, perhaps I would like to try a braided LP hose from DGX or already have a spare. Your LDS should be in contact before replacing anything other than internal 'consumable' parts which are covered in the 'service'.

No what? It doesn't get replaced? Dive with a faulty/leaking hose? Dive without one?

Let me help you, if you care to read my post again, perhaps you'll notice I never said who replaces it :wink:! I felt the OP might have been hinting that it possibly did not need to be replaced since it was a tiny leak (read post #3), therefor I felt the need to point out, tiny leak or big leak means the same, means the hose needs to be replaced, got it?

I would have thanked them for a backup spare hose and refused to pay for it.

That's fine for you I guess.
Me, if I had not agreed to it, I would simply just tell them that I did not want the hose and had other plans to replace it, I would hand it back to them so they could remove THEIR hose, since I didn't pay for it, I couldn't walk out with it.

There are thousand of horror stories with auto repair shops. I remember a car coming in my shop that sounded like it was running on three cylinders. They came in through the service desk and asked me for a diagnosis. I think we charged $39 for a diagnosis, they agreed but before we went through all that, I asked them if I could simply examine the car. We walked out to the car and they popped the hood and started the car. I asked her to stop the car and reached down and plugged in #3 spark plug wire and asked her to restart the car. It purred. I suggested that the problem seemed to be fixed and why doesn't she drive it a few days and see if she still thinks she has a problem. Well, it turned out to be Channel 2 News running a sting on the local shops. We were the only shop to diagnose just the problem with no additional crap. We got real busy after that.

I was interviewed and asked point blank why I didn't charge them a thing while the other shops tried to sell them $200 to $450 dollars worth of repairs. I was pretty candid and suggested that if the car had been running badly for very long, that I would have recommended a lot more. However, I asked her a bunch of questions, including when it started running so badly and that made me think it was something simple. They were clearly confused, and I went on about the fact that a long term misfire could foul out the other three plugs due to the feedback nature of the EFI. I also pointed out that a spark plug wire that popped off for no apparent reason was indeed suspect as well. When I pushed it back on the plug, I felt a solid click and that's why I told her to drive it a couple of days to see what would happen. In other words, it was a push as to what should be done to the car. They asked me to look at the estimates, and frankly, only one was truly excessive. Go figure. Did they sensationalize it? Sure they did. It's their job to make things more dramatic than it really is. Heck, I could have really come out looking like a saint among sinners, but that would be wrong.

Two way communication is so important in any relationship, business or personal. Part of that is the facts you convey to the repair facility. You don't need to give me a diagnosis, but please, please give me accurate symptoms. Without those, arriving at a proper diagnosis is a lot harder and I might miss something no matter how thorough I might be. I learned the hard way that if I didn't have signatures on invoices and estimates, then I was going to have a problem with the customer no matter how clear I was in my communications. As a service manager, I didn't give out estimates as a customer service: they were to protect me from the people who told me "just fix it, I don't care what it costs" and then didn't want to pay the bill.

So as a provider or a consumer: put it in writing or ask for it to be put in writing. Why go through the hassle and aggravation that miscommunication will put you through. If you don't like the estimate you are given, go get another one. Some shops can really undercut the price with grey market parts and underpaid mechanics. The sour taste of poor quality lasts a lot long than the sweetness of cheap prices.

1385180_839875332693264_432736823_n.jpg

EDIT: New thread split: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/thumbs-down/479932-mods-disagree-me.html

Last edited:
Interesting thread in light of the fact I just sat down after picking my 3 SP MKV regs from the LDS all had not been serviced for 3-4 years, 1st time I ever let it go that long and here's why:

regs 001.jpg

What yall think of that?!?!??

OP there's always someone getting screwed worse than you. I'm looking for that someone myself. :wink:

Interesting thread in light of the fact I just sat down after picking my 3 SP MKV regs from the LDS all had not been serviced for 3-4 years, 1st time I ever let it go that long and here's why:

View attachment 181237

OP there's always someone getting screwed worse than you. I'm looking for that someone myself. :wink:

Only $11.46 in sales tax. You got a bargain there.

View attachment 181237

Can you clarify what exactly was serviced?
I see the charge for the 1st stage kits (3 of them) and at least one hose and mouth piece, what is the 2nd stages? What is attached to each of those MK5's and was it serviced?
I'm asking because if these are for 3 1st stages only then it's awfully high, but for 3 reg sets, it's actually pretty good deal

I see the charge for the 1st stage kits (3 of them) and at least one hose and mouth piece, what is the 2nd stages? What is attached to each of those MK5's and was it serviced?
I'm asking because if these are for 3 1st stages only then it's awfully high, but for 3 reg sets, it's actually pretty good deal

I am not the poster but looking at the bill it appears that three regulator sets were serviced. Three MK-5 first stages and three balanced adjustable second stages. The cost for the hose and mouthpiece seems high. The kits are reasonable for what I have seen them sell for. The service might be a tad high usually I think $25 per stage.

Three regulators 1st and 2nd stages MkV / R109. Nothing was attached I take everything off before I bring them in for service.

That price for three 1st/2nd stages seems about normal for what a shop would charge. The labor cost of $195 for servicing a total of six stages is not unreasonable if the work is done correctly. The big rip-off is the $100 price tag for the kits, and that's not the shop's fault. What's really sad is that $100 for six rebuild kits is actually on the low side of typical prices. For a few o-rings and a few plastic seats.

If your 109s are not balanced, buying a $12 kit is really outrageous considering it's only 2 easily available o-rings and a flat EPDM seat that can be stamped out of a sheet for far less than 1 cent/seat. Again, not the shop's fault, but this is yet another example of why I service my own regulators.

View attachment 181237

Wow that's cheap sales tax!

Back
Top Bottom