Regulator service: acceptable treatment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

None of what you describe in normal. At least on my bench. I do an evaluation and then send a quote. You approve the work gets done. If in the course of tearing down the regs I discover another issue I stop, send a message, and get your approval. Unless it is something really small.

Your mouthpiece for example. I have one set of regs here that when I took the mouthpiece off I discovered a tear under the zip tie. Standard factory mouthpiece. These regs happen to be for someone overseas. Well I missed it in the eval so I replaced it. Charge for that - 0.00. Mouthpieces are cheap. I did note it when I sent the invoice for payment.

Your LP hose? What was wrong with it? Did you get the old one back? On these same regs I discovered a cracked and split 6" HP hose. That was in the original eval and the service price quoted included it. I would not have replaced it without his OK.

After your experience last time why did you take it back to this shop?

No extra work should have been done without your OK. Even if they refused to go through with the service if there were legit things wrong that you did not approve. For example if I see a bad hose I am going to get your ok to replace it and I will send pics or show you the hose. If you refuse to have the hose replaced then I may refuse to service the reg if I think you will dive it with a bad hose. But you will know this before I even start the work.

I advise people to not just take a reg in and say "here, needs an annual." Have the tech do an evaluation and test. It may not need a rebuild. Just a good cleaning and adjustment. Get an estimate before they do the work and ask why this or that needs done. And get your old parts back.

That they replaced a battery after you specifically told them not to would tell me that this is the wrong place to take anything.

Guess that's why I get people sending me regs from all over. These ones I was just talking about. They are on their way back tomorrow. To my customer in Okinawa, Japan.

I'm with Jim on this. Nothing should've been done that you didn't authorize, unless there was something in the agreement you signed that said, if it was less than $5 for example. And after the battery replacement after explicitly requesting that it not be done, I'd look for another shop to perform my services.

I guess I have been lucky because I have never had the kinds of problems a lot of people do.

However, if it didn't seem right to you when you picked the regs up it would have been better to solve the problem before you left the shop. I would have asked to speak to the owner/manager and expressed my concerns before leaving. If they weren't there then I would probably find out when they were going to be there and give them a call. Unless I had some kind of a deadline and needed the gear, I would have probably not paid for it and waited until I talked to the manager/owner.

A face to face discussion usually yields better results than an impersonal email when you are local. That's just my experience. YMMV

Good luck, I hope you get the issue solved to your satisfaction.

Actually, I do have a deadline and going back would be another 90-120 minutes in the car. Frankly, the story of these regs is a longer one than posted and is best e-mailed in a thorough fashion. As far as being satisfied, from a monetary standpoint I am. I probably would have gotten another hose regardless. From a service standpoint, it seems the surest way to find satisfaction is to find someone else to provide it, and that will be the point of my e-mail.

One note is that I do not sell or service any computers at this time. Most I would do is replace the o ring on the transmitter as I would have to take it off to rebuild the reg if it needed it.

Fair enough. I just suggest that a phone call and actual personal interaction might yield more satisfaction. That's all.

If the shop did something similar to you in the past then it is probably time to find another shop anyway.

I am kind of old school when it comes to this stuff and prefer a phone call to an email. Emails often come across differently than intended in my experience. IMO the world is sorely lacking in personal communications. Texts and Emails rule the day I know.

Good luck, hope you find a shop that gives you what you want or a place to send your gear for service that will take care of you the way you want.

Actually, I do have a deadline and going back would be another 90-120 minutes in the car. Frankly, the story of these regs is a longer one than posted and is best e-mailed in a thorough fashion. As far as being satisfied, from a monetary standpoint I am. I probably would have gotten another hose regardless. From a service standpoint, it seems the surest way to find satisfaction is to find someone else to provide it, and that will be the point of my e-mail.

I just got back my regs from my LDS for their annual service. In addition to the usual service kits, labor charges, and $15 for "extra cleaning" two parts were replaced on my setup without my knowledge or consent: my BC hose and a mouthpiece. Total charge for the two parts was about $40.

Why did you bring the reg in to begin with? Was there something wrong with it, or was it a warranty issue, or were you just going for annual service because you've been told that regs need it?

In terms of what happened, I'd be a little annoyed but if in fact the hose leaked or showed significant wear and the mouthpiece was damaged, I can understand how they would not want the reg to leave their shop without those things replaced. If they replaced your mouthpiece with a different style I'd be annoyed about that too. That's a pretty individual thing that has a big impact on comfort. They should have called you but here is a perfect example of bureaucracy at work. The technician is trying to do his job, which is fix regs, but he doesn't actually talk with the owner of the regs, so there's a middle-man, a salesperson, for communication, but who doesn't know enough about your regs to make the decision about what work is needed. This allows everyone to avoid responsibility. Pretty neat system, huh?

As far as crappy-service-dive shop-horror-stories go, this one is pretty tame. I'd just move on, maybe start looking for a new shop.

I can understand how they would not want the reg to leave their shop without those things replaced. If they replaced your mouthpiece with a different style I'd be annoyed about that too. That's a pretty individual thing that has a big impact on comfort. They should have called you but here is a perfect example of bureaucracy at work. The technician is trying to do his job, which is fix regs, but he doesn't actually talk with the owner of the regs, so there's a middle-man, a salesperson, for communication, but who doesn't know enough about your regs to make the decision about what work is needed. This allows everyone to avoid responsibility.

Valid points, but still no excuse for spending someone's money for them without permission. I wouldn't accept that from any business.

Valid points, but still no excuse for spending someone's money for them without permission. I wouldn't accept that from any business.

True, but the OP accepted by paying.

I think intention is what's important. It certainly doesn't sound like he was ripped off. Guilty of bad communication? Maybe. Scamming? I don't think so. It sounds to me like they tried to do a thorough job service wise by spotting faulty (?) hose and mouth piece but dropped the ball by not advising in advance of extra cost.

There is perhaps a middle ground. I would agree the tech should have called. But another way to handle it is to have a baggie with the repaired parts and a baggie with suggested parts (mouth piece and hose). With the suggested parts there would be the eval as to why and the cost - separate from the overhaul costs. Then the customer could decide. That said given it is the second time I would also suggest giving the owner a call - much better than email.

I just got back my regs from my LDS for their annual service. In addition to the usual service kits, labor charges, and $15 for "extra cleaning" two parts were replaced on my setup without my knowledge or consent: my BC hose and a mouthpiece. Total charge for the two parts was about $40.

I wasn't contacted prior to doing this, no notice on the service notes was given as to what was "wrong" with things (I could spot a few pin-hole sized holes on the mouthpiece). I made them take the mouthpiece off as it wasn't exactly what I would buy myself.

Last year I told the intake-clerk specifically not to replace the HP transmitter battery, but that was done as well. I flat out refused to pay for that; they declined to take their new one back.

So is this acceptable standard practice? I view this as taking my car in for an oil change and getting it back with a new set of tires or brakes that I didn't ask for. Am I off-base?

I cringe at the idea of $15 for "extra cleaning" unless that was discussed up front. Some shops have gotten very good at scamming their customers and, unfortunately, it is often hard to tell whether a shop is doing a good job or ripping you off.

What was the reason for the "extra" cleaning?

Is the replaced hose leaking (and not repairable)?

Things like this need to be resolved before you pay those extra charges.

Back
Top Bottom