Regulators for Dummies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cosmographer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As a beginner, I have a few basic questions when it comes to regulators.

1) I guess there are high pressure and low pressure ports on first stages? Are there any other types of ports?
2) What device is attached to what port?
3) Do different first stages come with different numbers of ports or are they all standardized?

And of course, on to the "which one do I buy" subject:

So many people on SB recommend Hog/Edge, but my concern is that out here in Hong Kong (and probably for the rest of the region), these are not well known brands, and it would probably be difficult to get them serviced. They may have classes for self-servicing, but as far as I know, I'd have to fly out to the US to attend these classes.

So from a service perspective it would appear that my choices should be limited to Aqualung, TUSA, Mares, Oceanic, Dacor, Apeks, SAS, Sherwood, Scubapro, among others. (These are serviced by my local LDS). Any recommendations for the best-value regulators from among these brands?

Your basic questions may be answered by your instructor.

I bought a set of 2nd hand Scubapro MK25/S600 a bit over 2 years ago and just serviced it myself under guidance of my instructor (who is also a highly regarded technician). I did borrow a gauge to measure the internal pressure from time to time during the 2nd year I had it to make sure it was in good working condition.

The way I look at it, unless you are really rough with your equipment, there is no reason to do annual service, and unless you have a few sets of regulators that need servicing, getting reg maintenance training (which requires some sort of secret handshake to obtain anyway) for the sake of saving a few bucks in the long run may not be worth the trouble, because you would probably have forgotten how to do it a year after you take your course. Put it this way, I only serviced mine a few weeks ago, and I really wouldn't and couldn't do it independently again now.

If you are buying from Hong Kong, I would suggest you look at Scubapro. You should find that their prices in HK are very reasonable.

The high pressure port is for an SPG (pressure gauge) or wireless transmitter for a computer.

The low pressure port is for a 2nd stage, octo, power inflator, drysuit inflator etc.

Typically the more expensive the reg, the more ports it has - usually 1-2 HP and 4-5 LP.

You know, I find it odd that this kind of stuff isn't covered in the OW course. They talk about Yoke and DIN, J and K valves but nothing about the ports which, IMO, is more impactful for a noob like me. From what I learned in this thread, it seems fairly important to look for a 1st stage with 2 hp ports if I have an AI computer. Thanks for the info. Would have hated to waste money on a reg set that didn't have enough ports.

From what I learned in this thread, it seems fairly important to look for a 1st stage with 2 hp ports if I have an AI computer. Thanks for the info. Would have hated to waste money on a reg set that didn't have enough ports.

Actually, it's the AI computer that is more of a waste of money, especially if you don't trust it enough to ditch the SPG. After all, isn't that the supposed benefit? One less hose...whoopee.

Getting back to your thread title, which is a good one BTW, there's an excellent book by Vance Harlow on regulator repair that has a clear, easy-to-read explanation of how regulators work; it really demystifies much of the B.S. and hype that permeates regulator sales.

Regulators are very simple devices that only step down pressure from the tank, have not really improved in about 30 years, and good ones are built to last a lifetime, with all parts that wear getting replaced at regular rebuilds. So beware of the sales pitch, it can get pretty thick.

I hate to be cynical (okay I don't really hate it so much :D) but the reason this sort of information is not covered in your OW course is because you're being taught the course specifically so you will buy gear from the shop that offers the course.

... The way I look at it ... there is no reason to do annual service ...
... you would probably have forgotten how to do it a year after you take your course.
... I really wouldn't and couldn't do it independently again now.

"No reason to have your regulator serviced"...are you willing to bet your life on that? :confused: You can survive an underwater failures to your mask, fins, camera, weight belt, etc., but try and survive without air? You even provide good reasons why you should have your regulator serviced by a certified technician; (a) you would forget how to service it properly and (b) without supervision you couldn't do it.

If you do not know exactly, percisely and accurrately what you are doing, have the proper tools, replacement and service parts, with the proper training and experience, you are only risking your life and if a failure occures endangering others who might try and help assist you. Diving should be about minimizing risks, not enhancing your changes of being removed from the gene pool.

Cosmographer,

Most of the brands of regulators you mentioned are good regulators to learn with, and gets down to personal brand preference. While I do not agree with most of what tin_the_fatty stated, ScubaPro does make a good regulator, as does Aqualung, Sherwood and Atomic. The other brands I am unfamiluar with and have never used, but I think most are good regs also.

Not only price, you might also look at what type of diving do you plan to do, do you plan to buy an entry level reg than step up when you get more experience or do you want to buy an high quality reg now? Conciser going to the different manufacture's websites and look at the different qualty levels and specifications of regs; they usually explain many of the different functions of their products. Just remember, while there is good information, it is also sales hype. But once you learn more about certain characteristics of regs, you can ask more specific questions, thus getting more informed answers.

~Michael~

Although I too would rather spend money on diving trips than on an AI computer, these days any mid-range and better 1st stages should have 2 HP ports. For most recreational divers 4 LP ports should be more than adequate (primary 2nd stage, octo, BCD inflator host and dry-suit inflator).

"No reason to have your regulator serviced"...are you willing to bet your life on that? :confused: You can survive an underwater failures to your mask, fins, camera, weight belt, etc., but try and survive without air? You even provide good reasons why you should have your regulator serviced by a certified technician; (a) you would forget how to service it properly and (b) without supervision you couldn't do it.

If you do not know exactly, percisely and accurrately what you are doing, have the proper tools, replacement and service parts, with the proper training and experience, you are only risking your life and if a failure occures endangering others who might try and help assist you. Diving should be about minimizing risks, not enhancing your changes of being removed from the gene pool.
~Michael~

I think you have misquoted me. If the manufacturer of your reg recommends annual service and it brings you peace of mind, then by all means.

I am a recreational diver in relatively warm water who don't abuse my diving equipment nor do I take them to their extremes. I am betting on that my regulator if tested within specs wouldn't fail suddenly and catastrophically underwater, when I do biannual service instead of annual service as recommended by Scubapro. Now if I do hundreds of dives a year (only did 33 in 2011), dive in cold water, or do technical diving then that might a totally different matter.

Reg manufacturers would no doubt want you to take your regs in for servicing as often as possible, just as they would want you to spend as much as possible, 'cos "it's your life!". I am just taking the sensible (to me) approach.

"No reason to have your regulator serviced"...are you willing to bet your life on that? :confused: You can survive an underwater failures to your mask, fins, camera, weight belt, etc., but try and survive without air?

Oh man, here we go again....where does this nonsense come from? I guess the dive gear/instruction industry is really doing a good job of brainwashing people into thinking that their life depends on A)buying expensive gear and B)having it serviced incessantly by someone with potentially one day of 'certification'.

No offense, but didn't you pay attention in your OW class when they were teaching you the buddy system, air sharing, you know, little details like that? And maybe you could enlighten us about how regulator failure results in no air being available and subsequent death. Has it ever happened to you? Why aren't you dead, then? :wink:

...I am betting on that my regulator if tested within specs wouldn't fail suddenly and catastrophically underwater...I am just taking the sensible (to me) approach.

I could not agree more with you...you are betting that your reg won't fail. Material integrity reduces from minimal use as well as from heavy use. There are regs that have been engineered and designed to be serviced bi-annually as oppose to anually, such as the Atomic T1. But most regulators have been designed for anual inspections; while there might be some truth in your statement to generate extra revenue, most manufactures do not see much revenue from annual services, they were designed to have certain componets tested and replaced annually.

It boil down to each diver is ultimately responsible for their own actions...I hope that you don't lose that bet.

~ME~

Back
Top Bottom