regulators that work in warm AND cold water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As others have pointed out, almost anything will work in warm water, so it's just case of "ease of breathing" and features. I was diving this weekend (as usual) in 42F water, at 170'. That was actually relatively warm for our parts... 39F or even 38F isn't unusual. If your definition of "cold" is 50F like DMDennis, then any decent reg will work. You aren't going to freeze up a reg in 50F water...

If in doubt, get a reg with a sealed first stage... that's good in cold and eliminates corrosion issues in the salty stuff, regardless of temperature.

I use Apeks DS4 first stages and XTX 50 seconds... they have performed flawlessly. The DS4s are sealed and the XTX50s are fully adjustable.

I love the versatility of my Apeks XTX50. Within the past month, I've dove from 48 degrees to 84 degrees, (Yukon wreck to Key Largo), traveled 7000 miles, endured a couple of deep dives with ripping currents, (no free flow because of the adjust-ability), and the breathing of the Apeks is "like butter". I dive primarily Southern Cal, but frequent South Florida & the Caribbean. Not saying that my reg is the best, as there are a number of good ones out there, i.e. Scubapro, Halcyon, Aqualung, Atomic, HOG, Hollis, Dive Rite, etc.

I have used Oceanic CDX5 and DX4 with envirokit first stages, Sherwood Blizzards and now use all HOG or Edge firsts for cold and warm water. Anything below fifty degrees I want a sealed first. If it will work in cold it'll work in warm.
The reverse is not always the case. What is left to decide is what do you want to spend.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

No sure about many mentioned here but they have been brought up in cold water threads. It gets down to roughly 35F where we dive a lot after the second thermocline. I got a freeflow from a Scubapro MK25 pretty quick in those conditions (first day using it). Supposedly the MK17 is better or there is a cold water kit for the MK25. Else most shop owners in the MN, WI area will laugh at you if you go for Scubapro (barely anybody sells them). They have the nickname of "Scubaflo" around here. I got rid of my MK25 and bought an Apeks XTX50 and have never looked back.

Is there a regulator out there that I can safely use in both conditions?

Sure, lots of them. For Cold Water it's best to have an environmental first-stage. Cold diving regs also provide ribs on the second stage connectors, etc. to reduce the chance of freezing. Personally I use Apeks and have had excellent performance with them in Canada and the Arctic.

I agree with the recommendations for the apeks ds4 and xtx50.

I dive mine primarily in the bay of fundy at 32-36c. I've got a zeagle flathead 7 that is also enviromentally sealed, but it froze a few times in those conditions. (Although, in it's defence, so did a HOG D1 and Diverite all on the same day, very cold surface temp).

I also dive it in warm water every year (Florida) and it's the easiest breathing reg I've ever found.

I actually have about 5 apeks kits now, (as they are also great for deco). Plus, parts for life is great.

And, (not to be a salesman here, but..) I have an xtx50 and ds4 up for sale in the classifieds forum for $350obo.

Probably about 40 degrees is the coldest the regulator would be in!

I would definitely want a coldwater-rated, sealed first stage for those temps

Besides that you're mostly just going to get a lot of people recommending the regs they use (and sell in some cases)

My 2 cents worth:

I have dove in Nova Scotia where my check dive water temp was 30F. I had a free flow due to icing up on my first stage. I found out it was only good to 45F.
Make sure your regs are rated for at least 30F/-1C

As for specific ones, your LDS can point out the various regs that meet the temperature requirements.

No sure about many mentioned here but they have been brought up in cold water threads. It gets down to roughly 35F where we dive a lot after the second thermocline. I got a freeflow from a Scubapro MK25 pretty quick in those conditions (first day using it). Supposedly the MK17 is better or there is a cold water kit for the MK25. Else most shop owners in the MN, WI area will laugh at you if you go for Scubapro (barely anybody sells them). They have the nickname of "Scubaflo" around here. I got rid of my MK25 and bought an Apeks XTX50 and have never looked back.

The sealed diaphragm Mark 17 first stage is not only 'supposedly' better in 35F degree water, it is at least as good as any of the regulators that are mentioned repeatedly. Apex are fine, I'm sure. So are Mk 17s. I would never voluntarily get into water that cold (35F!!) using either because I would never get in to water that cold.

As I wrote, I dived 20+ year old piston as opposed to environmentally sealed diaphragm type 1st stage regulators in very cold (to me) ocean water, slightly above 40F to the mid 50s. This was not balmy (unless the word was used by an earlier poster to mean a state of insanity rather than warmth). I used SP Mk5s and Mk 10s. Naturally, I used silicone in the ports these regs were built with for that purpose, diving in cold water. These are old piston 1st stages, not the best choice for extreme cold water, but they did work flawlessly for me. I still use them. The same ones. I should point out that when I did these dives I did them in old style Parkway Sharkskin two piece off the rack wetsuits that have limitations, to put it mildly. I still have one, but it lives on the wall to remind me of something important, but I've forgotten what that was. All that ice water on the brain. And elsewhere.

The OP need not trouble himself/herself about the superb regulators I used back then because they stopped making these two models around the same time the Soviet Union began to collapse and we all looked forward to the Peace Dividend that would accompany the end of the Cold War. Too much history for you? That's what the swine in out government figured you'd think as they set about sending US troops all over the world to do 'nation building" (changing things to suit us), plunging us into a vortex of terrorism.

Q. "Will the average American notice that almost all of the US directed terrorism and hatred for the US began just at the end of the Cold War?" Ans. "Naw. They're too stupid and ignorant of history and the logic of cause and effect."

But back to regulators. There are two main types of first stages: sealed diaphragm and open piston. I like open piston better. Easier to work on, simpler, deliver more air. Sealed diaphragm first stages do very well in freezing water, but have issues of their own. For one, they tend to be ugly. Don't get one unless you REALLY think you will be spending time in water much colder than 50F.

I don't dive anymore in cold water, so the choice for me is easy. My old SP Mk5s and MK10s. As good as anything out there, better than most. If you don't think you'll be spending much time in water way down at the frosty end of the thermometer, you choices expand exponentially. Stay with strong established manufacturers with good parts availability and solid records. That's why I suggested doing some serious reading with a strong awareness of who may be selling something. Me, I'm a semi-retired university professor with no economic ties to anything other than TIAA CREF and Social Security.

For the record, I do not sell or have any vested interest in any product, manufacturer or shop.

Back
Top Bottom