Rent at home or abroad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dwhef

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all. I'm a nubie and am still renting BC/reg unit. Going to Coz. Should I rent from my home dive shop and travel with it or rent in Coz. I'm figuring to rent and bring with me so as to not have to deal with it there, yet then I have to deal with it at airport and so on. What to do? Please help. Thanx

Hi, again, DWHef!

I am somewhat familiar with the area you are from and as I remember there is a dive shop called Diver Dan's Wet Pleasures not too far from San Jose. They used to have pretty decent rental gear if you choose that option. If Dan does not have what you need, there is another shop just three doors down from him! However, if you have a regular LDS and they value you as a customer, that would be the better option.

I have never rented gear on Coz, so I cannot give you any pointers as to how well it is maintained. I have to admit it would be nice not to have to lug gear though airports and that would seem a positive. But the devil you know is less fearsome than the one you do not know: i.e., I would not suggest you rent on Coz.

All that said, my one piece of long term advice: save your pennies, quarters and dollars and get your own gear. That, in my opinion is the very best option!

Hope this helps,

Scorpionfish

When you either own your gear or rent from your familiar dive shop, you know the quality of the gear and that it's been maintained regularly. There's no guarantee of that in Mexico...or anywhere else you may travel, for that matter.

I don't mean to say the shops/dive ops in Mexico are negligent. It's just that gear maintainence isn't always high on their list of priorities.

Rent it here and take it with you. It's well worth the small hassle of hauling it with you.

We just got back from Cozumel last week and IMHO (that of a newbie), rent at home. The cost savings is well worth the hassle of hauling equipment. At least, it was for us. Also, you don't have to worry about lots of heavy clothes, since you don't need as many clothes in Cozumel. Pack lots of sunscreen and have a ball.

Also, you may want to support your local dive shop.

Any chance that you have the $$ to buy your regulator before you go? Having been in medical research and knowing what a non-sanitized breathing system can cost you in respitory cold or virus, I'd suggest a purchase.

If you don't have the cash, I'd recommend renting at least a regulator in the USA.

Dive skin or shorty purchase? The ones I saw in Mexico for rent were definately used big time.

I dove with Dive Paradise when last in Cozumel and they had nearly new BC's for rent.

hope this helps

Thanx for the advice everybody. I guess it's unanimous then. I've already checked with my local dive shop and Monday morning I'll be calling them to reserve everything I need. Leaving in 10 more days. Can't wait!

I 've heard it would be cheaper to rent a broad than to marry one:bonk:

The cost of the upkeep can get outrageous!
Caymaniac

caymaniac,

You are going to get into trouble with the ladies on the board for that one.

I am going to hide over here and watch.

:wallpeek:

hey my wife would say that cay's comment is gender neutral .

With spouses its often cheaper to rent than own

Cherry

Graduate of Mrs Cherries and daughters School of Gender training

Qualified to answer every question with "yes dear"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom