Renting gear in Australia, Fiji and Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jphealy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going on a trip around the world next year and am hoping to dive in Malaysia, Australia and Fiji. I'll obviously want to travel pretty light so I'll be renting equipment everywhere. Is this expensive in these areas?The only equipment I'll be bringing is mask, snorkel and a wetsuit. Are the fins that are rented in these areas usually full foot or strap ones that you wear with boots? I'm wondering whether I should bring my boots or not.Thanks!

I'm not sure where you are diving in Australia, but in Melbourne a full set of gear (tank, BC, regs, mask, snorkel, fins, suit etc) normally costs about $80 for a day. Some shops also don't hire out booties any more due to health reasons so you might want to bring along yours. Fins in Melbourne are the ones that you need to wear with booties.

HTH,
mel.b

And also what wetsuit are you bringing? One suitable for Malaysia, Fiji and the Great Barrier Reef certainly won't cut it if you head anywhere near the more temperate waters of Sydney and Melbourne.

I actually haven't bought it yet, but I'm looking at the O'Neill Psycho 2 5mm/3mm. It's basically a surfing wetsuit but I'm pretty difficult to fit (very tall and slim) and the medium tall size that O'Neill do fits quite well. I might add a 2mm vest with a hood for the cooler water. Does that sound ok?

It depends on how you go in cold water. In Melbourne, during summer it gets to about 21C max, and in winter it drops down to 11C. I don't dive in anything less than a 7mm semi-dry so you may find it a bit cold in a surfing suit. But that suit would be fine for the warmer waters if that's all you're planning on doing.

Mel.b

Ningaloo in May will need a 3mm suit but some are fine in a 5mm - you can always let a little water in. Hire fins are mostly full foots, so no booties required. There isn't a great deal of price difference in having a wetsuit with you or not, so you might want to ditch it. Internal airlines in Australia, and particularly within Western Australia, are very strict on weight and will charge you. Contact each airline directly to find out their policies.

Perth and surrounds in May would be better in a 5mm. Mostly they have open heel fins. Don't know about the hire boots.

Gear rental here is usually around F$25. Not much but expect floppy full foot fins, threadbare BCs and you'll be lucky to get a depth gauge. Not everywhere obviously but at lots of places and some of the centres with better reputations have the worst rental gear..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom