Replaced my own drysuit zipper FINALLY....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dave4868

Old diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Lot of DIY'ers here, so I thought I'd mention that I just posted a thread on the DIY forum with a bunch of pics about my recent experience installing a new diagonal front zipper on my CLx450.

Link to thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/re...-front-entry-shell-suit-pics-1-3mb-total.html

It went well with no major problems, thankfully! :D

A little harder than doing a latex neck seal, but I'd certainly do it again.

Cost $100 total.

Anyone ever installed CF-200 socks?

That's my next project, if it seems feasible.

Dave C

I'm impressed. I did my own neck seal but I don't think I'd be brave enough to try the zipper! :D

Lot of DIY'ers here, so I thought I'd mention that I just posted a thread on the DIY forum with a bunch of pics about my recent experience installing a new diagonal front zipper on my CLx450.

Link to thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/re...-front-entry-shell-suit-pics-1-3mb-total.html

It went well with no major problems, thankfully! :D

A little harder than doing a latex neck seal, but I'd certainly do it again.

Cost $100 total.

Anyone ever installed CF-200 socks?

That's my next project, if it seems feasible.

Dave C

May I ask where you got such an inexpensive zipper?

Thanks,

John

Wow...that's great. I've done neck, wrist, p-valves, rebuilt the exhaust, replaced the inflator....but always thought of doing the zipper as beyond DIY.

Can I assume a rear entry horizontal zipper would be easier ? Any advice for doing a rear entry zipper ?

My gal and I recently did mine on a CF200. It was a major pain as my suit is over 12 years old and the neoprene did not want to separate from the zipper. Plus the neoprene stretched and stretches as you try to put the zipper back on. We got it handled and after a couple of pressure tests, all the leaks I had were repaired.

The Tri-lam suits should be pretty easy to replace the zippers on. Anything neoprene is going to be much harder, especially if it is old.

I used PB300 from OS Systems as the contact glue, and Aquaseal to go around the edges. I have done all the other seals a couple of times with no big issues, and am actually due for a new neck seal again.

Here is a zipper for $150. $100 zipper must be from Ebay or something??
<title>Global Drysuit Repair : Home</title>

My gal and I recently did mine on a CF200. It was a major pain as my suit is over 12 years old and the neoprene did not want to separate from the zipper. Plus the neoprene stretched and stretches as you try to put the zipper back on. We got it handled and after a couple of pressure tests, all the leaks I had were repaired.

The Tri-lam suits should be pretty easy to replace the zippers on. Anything neoprene is going to be much harder, especially if it is old.

I used PB300 from OS Systems as the contact glue, and Aquaseal to go around the edges. I have done all the other seals a couple of times with no big issues, and am actually due for a new neck seal again.

Here is a zipper for $150. $100 zipper must be from Ebay or something??
<title>Global Drysuit Repair : Home</title>

May I ask where you got such an inexpensive zipper?

Thanks,

John

EBay, but drysuit zippers are as scarce as hen's teeth. I have a daily search programmed and I've only seen them come up a couple times in the past year.

B&M Distributors may be a source of drysuit zippers:

WHOLESALE DIVING EQUIPMENT

I talked with them a year ago and the price varied, but was a little over $100, I believe.

Dave C

Can I assume a rear entry horizontal zipper would be easier ? Any advice for doing a rear entry zipper ?

I don't have any experience with them, but I've heard back entry zippers are easier to install than diagonal, over-the-shoulder front entry zippers.

What material is your suit? Peter C's comments about the difficulty he encountered installing a zipper in a neoprene back entry suit were interesting.

Wow...that's great. I've done neck, wrist, p-valves, rebuilt the exhaust, replaced the inflator....but always thought of doing the zipper as beyond DIY.

That's what I thought, especially when I thought about sewing it. Now, I realize sewing it would actually be easier. :)

The zipper block turned out to be a key item since the zipper was going to glued in with contact cement, that's for sure. :D

All in all, this project wasn't difficult, but I procrastinated for a couple years before getting the nerve. Finally got tired of wearing a towel inside the suit. :D

Dave C

My suit is trilam. Ive done neck and wrists, might as well try the zipper.

Peter C's comments about the difficulty he encountered installing a zipper in a neoprene back entry suit were interesting.

Dave C

My DUI CF200 is a crushed neoprene front entry drysuit. When working with a material that stretches it makes the job much harder. My drysuit also wanted to peel the neoprene layers instead of just being able to heat and peel the old zipper off. It took a very long time to remove the old zipper extremely carefully. I then used MEK to strip much of the old glue off as it was bubbled underneath the layers. Much of the work needed would have been a breeze on a newer suit let alone a TLS350 or similar Tri-lam.

FWIW a clothes iron works better than a heat gun for softening the glue both for removal and installation.

Back
Top Bottom