Replacing power inflator--will any old zip ties do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt S.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a few BCs that would benefit from having a new power inflator.

They all appear to be simply zip-tied on. Are there any special magic zip ties that I need to find, or will anything do? I imagine UV resistance is important.

lol :rofl3:

I have a few BCs that would benefit from having a new power inflator.

They all appear to be simply zip-tied on. Are there any special magic zip ties that I need to find, or will anything do? I imagine UV resistance is important.

All zip-ties are not equal... The good ones can be had at electrical supply houses or a good hardware store.... The crap from Harbor freight is just that.. CRAP.....

Jim...

Yea, there is some crap out there. The catch wants to be either a good molded design or stainless. Also the strength of the base material can vary a lot. Other than that it need no be scuba grade or anything too sacred.

Pete

You people laugh, but once I left the ball on my rear dump valve and it almost killed me. I don't even want to talk about the time I tried split fins.

But seriously--the zip ties on my BC look NOTHING like ones I have used before. They are "ty-wrap" brand, and have metal parts inside the locking mechanism.

Scuba: you can't be too careful.

Edit: thanks Pete!

Matt,

I just looked at the ones I have and they are labeled for indoor/outdoor use and specifically say UV resistant. Lesser ones will get brittle and can snap pretty quickly after being in the sun.

Added bonus: I got to add a few more people to my ignore list after reading this thread.

boat

Outdoor-rated, that sounds like the ticket. Thanks! My local hardware store is pretty good, I bet they'll have them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom