Report: Rocky Mountain UTD Mapping Project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you use bungees on your instruments? A glow-stick tucked under your bungees near your wrist would probably provide adequate light while being cheap and out of the way.

Peace,
Greg

Hi John,

Sounds like I missed some fun this month! I have a 600ft reel if you ever need it. :wink:

Your reel was much discussed, and its return is anticipated. Make sure it is fully knotted!

Do you use bungees on your instruments? A glow-stick tucked under your bungees near your wrist would probably provide adequate light while being cheap and out of the way.

Peace,
Greg

Yes, we do. Good thought.

Hi John,

Sounds like I missed some fun this month! I have a 600ft reel if you ever need it. :wink:

Get it knotted, buddy! We're going to be busy next month! Even if you don't want to do dives below 100', we have plenty to do and we may end up doing a couple LONG 100' dives to get the second half of the 100' contour. :) -- Think cave filled 108's for a 50ish minute bottom time. :wink: We haven't even started anything shallower than that yet.

For light, I noticed that clipping the light head to my shoulder d-ring and tucking the light cord positioned the light just perfectly for illuminating my wet notes for writing.

I also found out very quickly that a wrist compass just wasn't going to work. Contorting the elbow to position the compass, not to mention that the compass only measured in 5 degree increments isn't great. I keep a surface compass in my wet notes that I've had for years. It worked much better.

George and I were able to survey 480 feet of line - taking distance, depth, and compass headings at each knot. Our first dive on Sunday was planned as a 130' / 40 minutes. It ended up being 135' average for 35 minutes. The second dive was 100' / 55 minutes. Both dives requiring roughly 30 minutes of deco. On both dives, George ran line, while I trailed, taking notes.

On Saturday, I dove with a couple different team members. One of them was on a single AL80 - So the dives were short. He mainly took topographic notes while the other team mate and I took distance, depth, and compass heading notes. On the final dive of Saturday, we just did a casual 50' dive - orbiting the spring.

The diving was fun, different from our normal routine, and the weather was perfect. Look forward to next month.

If you get to the bottom, I have a new yellow lift bag lost there. Has my name on. It.

If you get to the bottom, I have a new yellow lift bag lost there. Has my name on. It.

As for me, you'll have to wait on some deeper certifications. If George or Scott find it, I will let them know.

EDIT: Where were you when you dropped it?

Get it knotted, buddy! We're going to be busy next month! Even if you don't want to do dives below 100', we have plenty to do and we may end up doing a couple LONG 100' dives to get the second half of the 100' contour. :) -- Think cave filled 108's for a 50ish minute bottom time. :wink: We haven't even started anything shallower than that yet.

For light, I noticed that clipping the light head to my shoulder d-ring and tucking the light cord positioned the light just perfectly for illuminating my wet notes for writing.

I also found out very quickly that a wrist compass just wasn't going to work. Contorting the elbow to position the compass, not to mention that the compass only measured in 5 degree increments isn't great. I keep a surface compass in my wet notes that I've had for years. It worked much better.

George and I were able to survey 480 feet of line - taking distance, depth, and compass headings at each knot. Our first dive on Sunday was planned as a 130' / 40 minutes. It ended up being 135' average for 35 minutes. The second dive was 100' / 55 minutes. Both dives requiring roughly 30 minutes of deco. On both dives, George ran line, while I trailed, taking notes.

On Saturday, I dove with a couple different team members. One of them was on a single AL80 - So the dives were short. He mainly took topographic notes while the other team mate and I took distance, depth, and compass heading notes. On the final dive of Saturday, we just did a casual 50' dive - orbiting the spring.

The diving was fun, different from our normal routine, and the weather was perfect. Look forward to next month.

Are you surveying each KNOT, or each tie off?

Are you surveying each KNOT, or each tie off?

Each knot.

While I'm not familiar with your particular environment, in cave diving we survey each tie off (station). If the line is pulled tight between each station, you can take DAD (depth, azimuth, and distance) measurements less frequently, but still have the same amount of total information. Does that make sense?

For instance (this is highly simplified), if you have 400' of total survey line knotted every 10ft, thats 40 knots. If your tie offs are in straight lines every 10ft, you only take 10 survey measurements (vs taking 40 at each knot). This will keep you moving faster and surveying more area per dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom