Report: Rocky Mountain UTD Mapping Project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's actually not how it's done for grade 3c maps, and since they're just surveying the basin, I'd assume they want to shoot for very high quality.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_survey#BCRA_gradings_for_recording_cave_passage_detail

John, any chance you're willing to fly to FL for a weekend survey course? I bet you could pay Mike Poucher to do an informal course, he's known for being the best of the best when it comes to high quality survey.

Each knot.

What measurements are you taking there? Distance to wall(s)?, Depth, direction of 10ft leg forward?

I've never surveyed every knot but its not that big of a hole and you want detail in bad vis so maybe its warranted.

As for me, you'll have to wait on some deeper certifications. If George or Scott find it, I will let them know.

EDIT: Where were you when you dropped it?
At about 230 feet down 20 feet from the under hang ledge to the center of the hole. Diving twin 125 hp cf 80 cf 50/50 and 20 cf 100%

The ledge seems to go under the road quite a way

While I'm not familiar with your particular environment, in cave diving we survey each tie off (station). If the line is pulled tight between each station, you can take DAD (depth, azimuth, and distance) measurements less frequently, but still have the same amount of total information. Does that make sense?

For instance (this is highly simplified), if you have 400' of total survey line knotted every 10ft, thats 40 knots. If your tie offs are in straight lines every 10ft, you only take 10 survey measurements (vs taking 40 at each knot). This will keep you moving faster and surveying more area per dive.

What measurements are you taking there? Distance to wall(s)?, Depth, direction of 10ft leg forward?

The situation is different from a typical cave. Let's take the work that I did directly as an example. We started from a known point and worked at the same depth, eventually reaching another known point. We are following an irregular wall, with the bottom anywhere between 100-180 feet below us. We are following the inside arc of a circle, with jagged variations. We are hoping that a series of compass headings will allow us to identify the shape of the wall at that depth. With enough such variations, we hope eventually to be able to map the shape of the wall at all depths.

That wall is primarily rock with some layers of clay. It is uniformly encrusted with a purple-black rough coating. You have limited and irregular tie-off opportunities. You may think you are about to tie off on an attractive rock protrusion only to find out it is either encrusted clay or just crumbly encrustation.

John, any chance you're willing to fly to FL for a weekend survey course? I bet you could pay Mike Poucher to do an informal course, he's known for being the best of the best when it comes to high quality survey.

Actually, there is such a chance. I leave for Florida next Friday. I will be staying north of Fort Lauderdale until the end of the first week in March. I hope to take a couple of trips north to cave country, although I have no definite plans whatsoever. I expect that will be weather dependent--if the weather report looks bad for ocean diving for a while, I will head north for a few days. (I will also have to find someone who doesn't mind diving with someone with no dives past full cave and who is looking for an appropriate experience.)

I do have to remember that this is a family vacation, though. :D

At about 230 feet down 20 feet from the under hang ledge to the center of the hole. Diving twin 125 hp cf 80 cf 50/50 and 20 cf 100%

The ledge seems to go under the road quite a way

I assume you are talking about the north end if you mean the road (or what passes for one). Yes, that is quite an overhang. One of our earlier goals is to measure it at different depths. That will be a challenge as well, since we don't have many people with the certs to go to the bottom there.

What group are you with? When do you go there?

Have you checked with the US Deep Caving Team? They did some work in Rock Lake back in the 70s.

Roak

Here is the data that we have logged to date:

CountourPointsMap.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom