Rescue Diver Cert!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaMike05:
Ok, the weatherman should be shot for saying 80% chance of rain. No rain no nothing. Great diving and I got sunburned lol.

But i'm now a Rescue Diver!

I start my classroom work this weekend 5/6 and do a pool session 5/20 and check out dive 5/27. Was the class harder than what you would have expected? what about the actual 'pulling someone out of the water' part? I am just nervous about the acutal rescue part since I am going to be alot smaller (most likely) than anyone I would ever dive with...

mauigal:
I start my classroom work this weekend 5/6 and do a pool session 5/20 and check out dive 5/27. Was the class harder than what you would have expected? what about the actual 'pulling someone out of the water' part? I am just nervous about the acutal rescue part since I am going to be alot smaller (most likely) than anyone I would ever dive with...

Yes... all of you with rescue experience...please elaborate on this. I am in excellent physical shape but working on the upper body strength. I am 5'2", 115# female. What will be the biggest physical challange? I'm workithng with a trainer lifting... I really want to focus isolating the muscles I need for this. I want to be be able to "lift with the big boys".

ScubaMike05:
Ok, the weatherman should be shot for saying 80% chance of rain. No rain no nothing. Great diving and I got sunburned lol.

But i'm now a Rescue Diver!

I had to laugh on this post! I am going to Beaver Lake, AR this weekend for my AOW dives (I know, not related) and the weather report shows 69 and 30% chance of rain. Last weekend, it rained out my lake cleanup effort with my LDS and I am itching to get the hell out of dodge this weekend to go diving!

After this, continue training and getting experience, then on to the Rescue Diving course!

Bill :)

Humu-out-of-Water:
Yes... all of you with rescue experience...please elaborate on this. I am in excellent physical shape but working on the upper body strength. I am 5'2", 115# female. What will be the biggest physical challange? I'm workithng with a trainer lifting... I really want to focus isolating the muscles I need for this. I want to be be able to "lift with the big boys".
In my experience, the instructor will accomodate this. The point is for you to know HOW to do the exercises, and have some level of practice at doing so, even if you need a little "assistance" from the "victim". It's not necessary for a 5'2" 115# female to body lift a 6'4" 250lb male in order to "pass" the class... you just have to demonstrate working knowledge of what to do in a crisis. In real life, should a crisis occur, you will have to decide whether or not you are physically capable of effecting a rescue, and how much risk you will put yourself in to do so.

I am 6'3", 200lb male. My rescue class partner was male, but maybe 5' tall. Needless to say, I "helped" a little bit as he pulled me from the water and onto the beach, else we would have been there all day!

Good luck on the course and have fun too.

CompuDude:
In my experience, the instructor will accomodate this. The point is for you to know HOW to do the exercises, and have some level of practice at doing so, even if you need a little "assistance" from the "victim". It's not necessary for a 5'2" 115# female to body lift a 6'4" 250lb male in order to "pass" the class... you just have to demonstrate working knowledge of what to do in a crisis. In real life, should a crisis occur, you will have to decide whether or not you are physically capable of effecting a rescue, and how much risk you will put yourself in to do so.

I am 6'3", 200lb male. My rescue class partner was male, but maybe 5' tall. Needless to say, I "helped" a little bit as he pulled me from the water and onto the beach, else we would have been there all day!

Ok... I want to be able to do it with assisstance. Are you saying the most difficult thing will be getting someone out of the water and on to the shore? Is this with both of is in full gear? I want to be able to rescue my husband (160lbs). To ME this is neccessary. I will practice before I take the class if need be. Like I said, I'm actually TRAINING to do this.

Congrats Mike!!! You rock!!! Hopefully, I'll joining you in those honoured ranks of Rescue Divers this summer. : )

Rescue was the best and most rewarding course I have taken. Remember the key to the class is to continue to review and practice after you get that card.

I just finished my Class and Pool Sessions, I have to wait until the 26th & 27th of this month for the OW sessions(It's still cold here, intructors want to wait). I'm excited about this course, it has been most worthwile Dive program I've done so far. I'm looking forward to the OW Sessions.

Hopefully I have the strength to do a dive after the class.....:D

Humu-out-of-Water:
Ok... I want to be able to do it with assisstance. Are you saying the most difficult thing will be getting someone out of the water and on to the shore? Is this with both of is in full gear? I want to be able to rescue my husband (160lbs). To ME this is neccessary. I will practice before I take the class if need be. Like I said, I'm actually TRAINING to do this.
Difficuly from a raw strength standpoint is different from a "difficult to do" task. The trickiest thing you'll do would probably be rescue breathing while swimming and chucking gear at the same time. I think getting someone out of the water is likely to be the most physically demanding part of the exercise, however, from a raw strength perspective. There will be other tasks that will take strength, but that's the big one.

Think about it... what will take the most strength, doing something (just about anything, really) while floating weightless in water, or dragging 160 lbs of dead weight around on dry land... and/or through surf?

Back
Top Bottom