Rescue Diver Cert!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Humu-out-of-Water:
Ok... I want to be able to do it with assisstance...

I meant WITHOUT assistance....

Thanks for all the input.

Here's an overview of the open water exercises :...

Current requirements can be found in the PADI Rescue Manual.
Exercise 1 - Tired Diver
Demonstrate appropriate response to a distressed but rational diver approach, evaluation, contact, calm victim, assist, transport, equipment removal
With distressed but rational diver at surface
1.approach, evaluate: head out of water, paced, address diver to determine level of response
2.contact, calm: attempt to talk diver through problem, establish buoyancy, provide tactile and vocal support, allow rest if possible
3.assist and transport: face dry, near horizontal, able to swim, in control at surface
4.equipment removal: weights if necessary, tank if necessary, rescuer bcd can be extended to victim
Exercise 2 - Panicked Diver
Demonstrate appropriate response to a panicked (irrational) diver same as above but practice releases, underwater approach, turning and knee cradling victim
With panicked (irrational) diver
1.approach, evaluate: head out of water, paced, address diver to determine level of response
2.contact, release, control: swim behind victim but if grabbed, push up and away to go underwater, turn victim by knees and come up behind , knee cradle, establish buoyancy
3.assist and transport: face dry, near horizontal, able to swim, in control
equipment removal: weights if necessary, tank if necessary, rescuer bcd can be extended to victim
Exercise 3 - Response from shore or boat (without scuba) to a conscious victim at surface
Respond to a conscious, distressed diver
nonswimming assists, entry considerations, and egress with conscious victim, post attendance
With conscious, distressed diver, rescuer dons mask and fins but does not wear scuba
1.nonswimming assists: throw a line if w/in 9 meters, use tag line, use floats or makeshift (bds, fender buoys, whatever floats and can be thrown to victim)
2.entry considerations: use mask, fins, snorkel and something for floatation, enter water at point closest to victim and maintain view of victim (jump, don't dive)
3.egress with conscious victim: assist onto boat or shore
4.post attendance: discuss considerations

Exercise 4 - Distressed diver underwater
Demonstrate proficiency in responding to a distressed or overexerted diver under water
Conduct alternate air source ascent as donor
With distressed or overexerted diver under water
1.approach, evaluate: use hand signals to determine level of response underwater
2.contact, calm: STOP victim, CONTACT victim, RESTABLISH breathing rhythm, STABILIZE victim on safe, stable object if handy underwater
3.assist and transport: Victim signals out of air, rescuer brings him/her to the surface on alternate air source underwater
4.post attendance: discuss considerations

Exercise 5 - Missing diver
Demonstrate how to quickly search for and locate a missing diver using UW search pattern prescribed by instructor
Procedures include pinpointing where diver last seen, posting spotters to find bubbles, dispatch skin divers to initiate search and mark location if possible, dispatch scuba teams when ready (establish recall system, terminate search in 30 min)
Missing diver under water start on shore or boat
1.spotting: determine where diver last seen and send skin divers to mark spot, with marker buoys if possible, post spotters to look for bubbles, if practical have someone determine if diver may have exited area (car in parking lot? on another boat?)
2.Organizing search: considering experience, decompression and air available, form teams, establish recall system when victim found. Avoid aggravating situation - if necessary, take a buddy and assuming air and no-deco time ok, you conduct search
3.Search for victim underwater: use appropriate search pattern "prescribed by instructor" in this exercise. Terminate search if diver not found in 30 min.

Exercise 6 - Surfacing the unconscious diver
Demonstrate use of controlled positive buoyancy to assist ascent and surface simulated unconscious diver using BC of either victim or rescuer
Procedure: mechanical and oral inflation, vent excess air, flare to slow ascent, keep reg in victim's mouth (but don't put it there if it's out), position head, if removing weights do so and establish slightly positive buoyancy constantly adjusted for depth OR leave weights on and discard at surface
Exercise 7 - Unconscious diver at the surface
Exercise 8 - Egress with an unconscious diver
Exercise 9 - First aid for pressure related accidents
Exercise 10 - Response from shore or boat to an unconscious victim
Exercise 11 - Diving accident scenario 1 (underwater search)
Exercise 12 - Diving accident scenario 1 (response, egress, and management)

Humu-out-of-Water:
I meant WITHOUT assistance....

Cheryl, don't worry about your ability to do this in training, even if you need assistance. You will be asked to demonstrate in whatever circumstance is most convenient in your class, whether it be a beach exit or a boat exit or onto lava rocks in surf. If the time ever comes for you to rescue your husband, you will have so much adrenaline pumping through your veins that you will be able to acheive much, much more than you can in training. Just overlearn the techniques for now; your training will kick in if you need it.

Hey everyone, thanks for the outpouring of encouragement and support! :D

The #1 rule of being a rescue diver is to take care of YOURSELF first. Otherwise, you'll become a victim. You'll learn alternatives to just jumping in and getting someone out of the water like throwing them something from shore.

But the biggest thing I've learned (only 20 dives into my career) is to chill out, relax, and become a better diver. My air consumption is down and my buoyancy is getting better.

Now to get someone up from the bottom, that was tricky but throughout the course you learn how to get better with it. You can just pick them up or just inflate their BC to help you raise them from the bottom...slowly of course :D

But yeah, i'm excited to get my new C card with a sharky on it (paid the extra $5).

Next step is to get more dives in and get experience before doing DM.

ScubaMike05:
The #1 rule of being a rescue diver is to take care of YOURSELF first.

hey, he GOT IT!!

woo hoo!!!!

:wink:

absolutely. self-rescue (meaning preventive thinking) is the most important
skill to be learned from the Rescue class.

imagine that, eh Andy?

I need to squeeze in rescue... But Chicago weather has turned cold and can not find instructor willing to do it. Looking to drive south if I can find an instructor...

This is a 2006 thread???? I would wait until summer since you are in Fresh water native. if you can do this fresh water you can do salt easy after. An it is an intensive course. Not the best thing while on vacation. But well worth your time.

Back
Top Bottom