Rescue Pocket Mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 on carrying one. If you've taken rescue, then you know how much easier it is to do breaths (every 5 seconds btw) while towing with a mask than without. The other added benefit is when you get tired and accidentally dunk the victims mouth below waterline, often the mask will seal/protect from water ingress. I was twice as affective with breaths using a mask v.s. other mouth 2 mouth methods in water.

A mask weighs nothing and is pretty darn compact. If you are qualified to use one in water, then IMO you should carry one...That is of course if you feel you can effectively provide rescue when needed. Like others have said it takes practice to do.

I don't carry mine while in the water probably should .The thing I noticed while using one in the water is the one way valve gets wet and it doesn't allow good air flow thru it. It's kind of a two way street if you ever needed one it would sure be nice to have it with you. I wonder if you could seal it in a food bag or something like that . Zip lock bags don't work very well ,I tried that .
Anybody else trid something different to keep the water and the salt out ?

Cheers
Michael

Thats my main question Michael, I know that in a pinch that I can do regular mouth-to- mouth, but I too was wondering about the one way valve and filter in the pocket mask?? If I seal it in a bag, vaccum seal it or what ever, that's one more thing I need to mess with in the emergency.- Guess the main question, does anyone know of a pocket mask that will still work,even though it's kept in the bcd pocket during the dive?

I have 2 pocket masks. One that I got for my EFR class and another DAN version I got for my rescue class. I carry one of them in a BCD pocket all the time. I just finished my OW scenarios this past weekend for my rescue cert. I can honestly say that when i started doing the rescue breaths I never even considered pulling the mask out of the pocket. My first instincts, through other training in a previous life, are to do traditional mouth-to-mouth so that is what I did. I passed and the instructor never said anything to me so i guess all is good.

I agree with one of the previous posters. Using the mask in the water may not be practical. I tried to use one in near Ft Lauderdale FL a few weeks ago when I started my rescue course but my lack of familiarity with the mask, my experience and training with traditional methods, and the sea state made it a challenge.It is a nice option to have though and I would certainly use it on land or on a boat when the situation warrants.

I have 3 of them. Stopped taking them on dives afetr once forgetting to rinse it out with the rest of my gear and the filter was fuzzy the next time I looked. Also find that a wet filter really restricts airflow as someone else noted. What really convinced me though was the last rescue class I taught and we did actual comparisons of tows while stripping gear, not stripping gear, and stripping gear with rescue breaths over various distances as a demonstration and as research for new agency standards. Sobering is the word I would use. Trying to deliver effective rescue breaths while stripping gear with a single rescuer was enough of a delay in getting the vic to shore to allow brain damage since compressions could not be used to provide blood flow. Even with two rescuers it was marginal.

I had a combat medic, pharmacist, and physicians assistant with 10 years of ER experience in that class. All of them clearly stated that based on what they saw and experienced if they were ever in a diving accident they DID NOT WANT someone to try rescue breathing on the way in for any reason. The consensus was to get the vic (them) out of the water or in shallow water where the rescuer could get stable to provide EFFECTIVE rescue breaths and onto shore ASAP where compressions could be used.

I have been the vic in many rescue classes as a DM. Unless the person is really good and really works on the skill regularly, rescue breathing in water provides more of a psychological benefit for the rescuer and little for the vic. More often the airway gets closed by them rotating the head or the introduction of water into the vic mouth and nose as the head gets shoved under. Most recreational rescue divers need to focus on getting the vic out of the water. I know what the book says and do go over it. But I also teach reality and use demos to reinforce that and make it clear.

Jim
I have to agree with them about the quality of ventalations that you could really give and if the best course wouldn't be to just get somewhere. Now the thought of getting to the shore with the victim and having one in my pocket would make it easier to give good quality ventalations though. So i think I am going to have to check out the food seal bags and see if it keeps the mask dry . There is always the possibility of where you exit the water won't be close to your stuff on shore dives. You might find yourself doing CPR for a long period of time until help arrives .

Cheers
Michael

Jim
I will give it a try and let you know how it works.

Cheers
Michael

we did actual comparisons of tows while stripping gear, not stripping gear, and stripping gear with rescue breaths over various distances as a demonstration and as research for new agency standards. Sobering is the word I would use. Trying to deliver effective rescue breaths while stripping gear with a single rescuer was enough of a delay in getting the vic to shore to allow brain damage since compressions could not be used to provide blood flow. Even with two rescuers it was marginal.

I had a combat medic, pharmacist, and physicians assistant with 10 years of ER experience in that class. All of them clearly stated that based on what they saw and experienced if they were ever in a diving accident they DID NOT WANT someone to try rescue breathing on the way in for any reason. The consensus was to get the vic (them) out of the water or in shallow water where the rescuer could get stable to provide EFFECTIVE rescue breaths and onto shore ASAP where compressions could be used.

Never ran any tests, but always suspected that we were wasting valuable time.

I never leave home without it or dive without one....getting the victim on the boat or shore is important...but if you are well trained and practice in water rescue rescusitation often...and I do mean often...it may just help a diver someday. Just because you do it a couple of times during a class doesn't make you proficent in the action.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom